The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing nonpedal C6 material on E9 PSG?
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:22 pm    

Before I started on E9 pedal steel, I spent some time working on C6 non-pedal tunes (with 6 and 8 string lap steels).

I sold those laps to help finance my Stage One. And while I'm loving the PSG, I also had a blast playing nonpedal C6 and have a bunch of transcriptions and materials for it (Andy Volk, the Joaquin book, Mike Neer and tons of tabs).

Seems to me that if you drop your E's on the E9, you get a B6 tuning, correct?

So before I go out and buy another lap steel or even a D10 psg........any real disadvantages to sticking to the E9 for this material?

Anyone doing that, much?

(might also post this on Non-pedal sub-forum, to get their perspective as well)

Thanks!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 9:48 pm     Re: Playing nonpedal C6 material on E9 PSG?

Jim Fogarty wrote:
Seems to me that if you drop your E's on the E9, you get a B6 tuning, correct?

So before I go out and buy another lap steel or even a D10 psg........any real disadvantages to sticking to the E9 for this material?

Anyone doing that, much?

Thanks!

Yes, drop the E’s and you have B6, albeit with a big fat D on string 9, which comes in very handy believe it or not. I don’t see why you couldn’t easily transpose a lot of those C6 lap tunes to your pedal steel, with a couple asterisks.

First, string spacing on 10-string psg is narrower than it is on 8-string lap, so those adjacent string slants just don’t work very well. Second, if the tuning for the song is ACEGACEG or GACEGACE, you won’t have some of the low register covered on your E9 neck and the intervals will be different.

Generally speaking, playing jazz and swing type sounds is one of the countless things that can be done with E9 tuning and many players do it very well. Randy Beavers comes to mind. He has a couple changes in his copedent that aren’t on the Stage One, but I bet he could swing your guitar into the middle of next week.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:12 pm    

Don’t forget about A6 mode on E9 with A+B pedals down. Herb Remington has 2 books of tabs for playing pedal steel in A6 tuning mode. I just stumbled onto his site today.
http://www.remingtonsteelguitars.com/A6.html