The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Combo amps popularity. Why?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 6:59 am    

[quote="George Kimery"]
Jim Sliff wrote:
You often can't get the specific sound of a combo amp in a split head/cabinet due to differences in cabinet configuration and speaker mounting.

If I build a cabinet for the chassis of a combo amp and build a speaker cabinet the same size as the combo amp cabinet and take the speaker out of the o!d cabinet and mount it in the new cabinet I just can't believe I would be able to hear the difference. I wouldn't do that anyway. I would just use the old combo cabinet and speaker as my extension cabinet.

If I would go to a different size cabinet or a closed back or used a different speaker, then I would expect it to sound different. I just don't buy into the idea that you can't get the same sound from a split system that you can from a combo. Even if that is true, different could be better just as well as worse.

When I split my NV400, I had Rick Johnson build a cabinet forthe head. I was going to have him build a matching cabinet, but funds became an issue. I still use the NV400 cabinet for the speaker. I currently have a Telonics speaker in it that I don't like half as much as my Black Widow 1502. But, it's a whole lot lighter.

I do set it to my right on a case I have for it. I also have a pedal board that sits on the head. Everything is within reach, and I can see every knob on every pedal. With my back and hip problems, I can't bend down to adjust pedals on the floor. I rarely run into bad problems fitting on stages.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 1:20 pm    

Quote:
I just don't buy into the idea that you can't get the same sound from a split system that you can from a combo. Even if that is true, different could be better just as well as worse.

So you don't agree, but then if you DO agree it might be better?

It sounds like you really don't know. But having done countless combo splits (and head/cab into combo conversions) for players over the last 50 years - and having studied acoustic theory - if you change the cabinet configuration you *will* change the sound.

I never said it would be worse - but it won't be the same.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 1:28 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
But having done countless combo splits (and head/cab into combo conversions) for players over the last 50 years - and having studied acoustic theory - if you change the cabinet configuration you *will* change the sound.

Nowadays, the sound in the room is more dependent on mic placement than cabinet selection.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 6:10 pm    

Quote:
Nowadays, the sound in the room is more dependent on mic placement than cabinet selection.

Well, that does assume the player is 1) out doing gigs in 2) venues that have sound systems 3) with engineers that understand mic placement.

Laughing
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional