The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Fender Telecaster 69 Paisley, Please Close
Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 9:22 am    

For sale is this as new Fender Tele In Pink Paisley, dead mint! Made in Japan, absolutely perfect workmanship. Plays like butter with very low action. Sounds like a 60s Tele should. Please reply to classic_co@hotmail.com. Thank you !

Last edited by Wayne Joseph on 13 Nov 2018 3:24 pm; edited 3 times in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 2:28 pm    

Not a '69, surely? An MIJ reissue from the '80s, I would think.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 9:45 am    

"'69" is no longer a year, but a model number of a re-issue... kind of. Unless those wiley Japanese were WAY ahead of us creeping Westies. If not for this and the like, umm, a Gretch model #1620 would be the "Pope Gregory the 15th" signature git and somebody would have a lot of explaining to do.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 10:14 am    

I should have realised that. My go-to Tele - built in 2009 - was billed as a '62 Thin Skin.

It's vaguely irritating to me that they now charge a premium price for making them with a degree of care that should be the norm.

These paisley reissues, while they don't quite capture the original shade of pink, are probably superior to those actually made in the '60s.

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 5:07 am     Original.

In the summer of 1969, I had an an original (more of a red paisley) color, ordered and was never delivered to my dealer. I guess they were "hot property" at that time.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:09 pm    

That looks like a 2002-02 re-issue. There may be a more recent re-issue that I am not aware of. Edit: I think they’ve just reissued them again in the last few years

I have a mid-80's re-issue. Great guitars, I love mine
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by Jeremy Threlfall on 26 Jul 2018 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Stuart Sawney

High Wycomb, Bucks, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 6:09 am     Japan Tele serial no's

Hi there, I have one here in the UK it has the serial number stamped on the bridge... A plus 6 digits. ' Made in Japan ' on the back of the neck where it meets the body. Luv it, got it way back in the late 80's. I like Fender Japan guitars. Top Drawer.
[/img]

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 1:42 am    

When CBS dropped Fender like a hot potato and Fender had no clue what it was going to do, they had Fenders made in Japan at a time that rivaled if not surpassed the MIA's. Then there were Japan Fenders that were for export of lesser quality to not compete with MIA's, and Fenders made for the Japan market only that were as good as MIA's.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 9:00 am    

I think you've gotta be good if you step on stage with a pink guitar!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 8:43 am     Paisley Tele

Price dropped to $700 plus shipping.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 9:43 pm     price dropp

Not a 69 but for sure worth 700.. Hell I'd buy it if I didn't have so many guitars. Worth it in my eyes.

Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 3:26 pm     Paisley Tele

sold on CL, please close

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 9:57 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
I should have realised that. My go-to Tele - built in 2009 - was billed as a '62 Thin Skin.

It's vaguely irritating to me that they now charge a premium price for making them with a degree of care that should be the norm.

These paisley reissues, while they don't quite capture the original shade of pink, are probably superior to those actually made in the '60s.

Yes irritating in that the original "thin skin" finish was done in Fullerton Ca when there was no EPA to crack down on the out-gassing of the lacquer used. Hence going back to those days on finishing a guitar today is an extra cost with either expensive air filter equipment at the spray booth step or done cheaper in Mexico where there is no EPA and then shipped back to Conus for assembly. Either way the costs add up in filter replacements and/or transpo to/from Mexico.

As an aside, the EPA which was created by Nixon in 1970 had less to do with protecting the environment and more to do with the gov being able to acquisition vast tracks of land to be wheeled and dealed later to anyone with cash.

Also the paisley finishes in the 60's were actually flower and paisley-patterned wallpaper patterns glued to the guitar before they did a sunburst treatment and then topping that off with a clear coat.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 10:59 am    

Good point re: the wallpaper finish, Godfrey. The originals were notorious for 'needing attention' as time wore on.

I think I read somewhere that James Burton's original - surely the most high-profile example of this model - '69 was restored for him, perhaps by the Fender Custom Shop. Presumably they rendered the finish a little more stable.

Brad Paisley famously acquired one of the 'real' '69s at some point. I heard that he'd paid $6k. I can't honestly say I liked them very much from a visual point of view but I did once get to try out James' guitar at an Emmylou Harris sound-check in London around 1977. That felt sorta cool!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 11:02 am    

PS: Is that a 'Lark Street Music' photograph, Godfrey? That carpet looks awfully familiar!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 11:28 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Good point re: the wallpaper finish, Godfrey. The originals were notorious for 'needing attention' as time wore on.

I think I read somewhere that James Burton's original - surely the most high-profile example of this model - '69 was restored for him, perhaps by the Fender Custom Shop. Presumably they rendered the finish a little more stable.

Brad Paisley famously acquired one of the 'real' '69s at some point. I heard that he'd paid $6k. I can't honestly say I liked them very much from a visual point of view but I did once get to try out James' guitar at an Emmylou Harris sound-check in London around 1977. That felt sorta cool!

Roger, It's always exciting to play an icon's instrument. It takes one places in an instant as if one steps into their bodies.

I'll bet the original paisleys were subject to chemical reactions from the materials used. They most likely did not test the finishes long enough wanting to cash in on the flower power era.

Ronnie Montrose had Fender make him a paisley Tele body but it appears they used foil as part of the underlay.

For me to play/own one of these it would have to have a good sound and feel. Am basically a sunburst type. When the paisleys came out back in the 60's it looked gaudy to me and it was obvious why Fender did it. But after 60 years, the historical value is what makes these collectible.

Brad, a fantastic player just happens to have the surname so it works for him.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 11:47 am    

You're quite right - too gaudy. Yet, somehow, there's a part of me that would cherish a guitar that looked as good as the one you just posted (is that the Montrose example?)

And yes - history has a way of reassessing things in a new light. I wonder if, had it not been for Fender persuading Burton to play one on the Elvis' show, we'd even remember them today. James, apparently, was somewhat hesitant to take his to the gig in case he 'stole focus' but Presley, it is said, loved it immediately.

The other 'celebrity guitar' I got to play was Duane Eddy's original '57 Gretsch 6120. I did a TV show with him in the mid-'70s and he urged me to try it out.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 12:00 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
You're quite right - too gaudy. Yet, somehow, there's a part of me that would cherish a guitar that looked as good as the one you just posted (is that the Montrose example?)

And yes - history has a way of reassessing things in a new light. I wonder if, had it not been for Fender persuading Burton to play one on the Elvis' show, we'd even remember them today. James, apparently, was somewhat hesitant to take his to the gig in case he 'stole focus' but Presley, it is said, loved it immediately.

The other 'celebrity guitar' I got to play was Duane Eddy's original '57 Gretsch 6120. I did a TV show with him in the mid-'70s and he urged me to try it out.

Elvis and his Vegas phase, Burton's paisley just added to the glitter. Laughing

Yes that is Montrose's guitar. I saw it on eBay some years ago and then Eddie Vegas got ahold of it and sold it for 8k.

https://www.eddievegas.com/store/details/1968-Ronnie-Montrose-Fender-Paisley-Tele-.php

My interest in Montrose was with Edgar Winter.

Duane's influence on guitar is etched in stone...

Sure admire your been around history Roger!

Quote:

PS: Is that a 'Lark Street Music' photograph, Godfrey? That carpet looks awfully familiar!

I wouldn't know Roger, the photo was on a Premier Guitar page.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 16 Nov 2018 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 12:15 pm    

Here we are at work. That's THE Gretsch and I have a battle-scarred Telecaster (and some hair, it seems.)

Not a great picture - it's a 'capture' from a DVD.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 12:23 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Here we are at work. That's THE Gretsch and I have a battle-scarred Telecaster (and some hair, it seems.)

Not a great picture - it's a 'capture' from a DVD.

Fantastic!

Technology will come around that will clear up older photos.