The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB: U-12 preferably 8x5
Zena Kay

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:33 pm    

Hey folks,

This is my first post as an official member of the forum, so glad to be here, I've learned a lot from scouring these threads already. It's time for me to upgrade my instrument, I'm getting pretty deep into steel and my carter starter is not cutting it anymore.

I'm curious to see if anyone would be willing to part with a U-12. After exploring D-10's and weighing my needs, there are a lot of folks (especially here) that make really good arguments for having a universal.

Alternatively, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has suggestions for quality U-12's that they've played that I should be on the lookout for without straying too far away from the "for sale" topic. Laughing

thanks ya'll! really glad to be here.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:38 pm    

I got double 12 MSa in four sale section I could make it into single 12 an put the universal tuningin on it with pad on back. But if u take a little time they come up for sale on forum quite often ready to pick.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:40 pm    

!,,

Last edited by Johnie King on 17 May 2018 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Zena Kay

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 6:07 pm    

I think I may wait for one built with universal in mind, I was checking out your MSA last night and it looks beautiful, but I think I'm gonna go for a more modern guitar. I really like the idea of having the locking lever for lowering E and possibly adding on some other levers/pedals if necessary which understandably is harder on older guitars. Thank you though! It looks like a beauty

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 6:35 pm    

U12 steels are all I've played for decades - no need for the added weight, and you really don't need a knee lever lock (One Big Tuning).

You can try some dealers (you could try Hummingbird in Sugarcreek OH; Rick's a great guy. http://www.hummingbirdmusicstudio.com/).
A U12 will periodically come up for sale on the Forum.
Do NOT deal with a particular fellow in Pennsylvania (message me for his name) - he's banned from the Forum but might offer to build you a U12 for a very attractive price.
Resist the temptation.

You've come to the right place for all things steel, though. Welcome, Zena.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 11:28 pm     Welcome, Zena!

Welcome! If you scroll down, there's a dedicated Wanted to Buy section. Might have better luck there!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Dana Shaw

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 10:15 am     What does this do for you?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 11:33 am    

Zena Kay wrote:
I really like the idea of having the locking lever

Zena, having played a Uni for many years I'd say you shouldn't go with a lock as they're totally unnecessary for a U-12. With a lock you might as well have a double neck as it's about the same thing. I like being able to attack it like one "big" tuning that you can play anything with. Those extra strings on the bottom are really useful with the E9, even more so than the B (C6th). My 79 BMI S-12 came with a lock and I tried it once on the bandstand and immediately took it off..... Good luck with your search........ Check out the BMI steels, they're usually reasonably priced....JH in Va.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 5:27 pm    

Zena,
I have to agree with the previous comments. I have been into Uni’s since 1979. I have owned several brands. I currently have two Klines. The locking lever is irrelevant. Jeff Newman thought that seven and five was the way to go and I agree. May he rest in peace. The MSA, The Universal, is a fair guitar but the mechanics are not equal to the MSAs produced today. I would avoid them. The Carters are not bad, stay in tune, and are lightweight. The Zum Universal, was nice, but too wide laterally, and I shifted from side to side playing the left and right knee levers. The Lamar and others, Anapeg, were too rare. Lamar was nice but the changer varied from year to year. I haven't tried the new Sierras, but the old ones were sonically nice but too heavy. That leaves BMI and Williams and Excel. They make make keyless universals that are excellent. The other manufactures make excellent guitars, but they make universals as an afterthought. My preference is for Kline, but they do not come up for sale that often. Hummingbird music, would have a line on a used Kline, and is an excellent resource for universal guitars. I offer this advice as my opinion. And there are those who may differ. Happy hunting for a guitar.

Gary Webb

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 7:58 pm     u12

I have a Sierra uni 8 and 5 with a lock that I have been thinking of selling. I just haven't wanted to go through shipping. We may be close enough arrange something. All standard pedals. Let me know if interested. Gary

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 9:33 pm    

I have several the the shop www.steelguitars.me under the inventory tab.

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 4:04 pm    

I have a friend that’s selling a MSA SD12 if you’re still looking for a steel. The setup is universal.