The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suite Steel (The Pedal steel Guitar Album) 1970
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 6:29 pm    

Yep still got my original vynl record of Suite Steel, and also Pacific Steel Co ... I must get someone to transfer these on to CD at some stage - it was ground breaking stuff for me Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 6:40 pm    

I remember Buddy commenting on Pete's playing when they did "Yesterday" together (with both of them playing just pedal steel). Buddy did his lead with Pete playing the rhythm and counterpoint behind him. Then, when it came time for Pete to play lead, and Buddy to play behind him, in Buddy's own words, "The whole bottom just dropped out of the song"...showing that Buddy was pretty impressed with how Pete did the backup. Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 1:05 am    

Paddy Long wrote:
I must get someone to transfer these on to CD at some stage - it was ground breaking stuff for me Very Happy

Here's an idea: you can send it to J. David Carrera who can transfer it to CD...
or to me....Very Happy

Ok, I'll stay out of it. Just an idea.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 3:54 am    

Copy for sale in England on Ebay - 10 pounds (15.74 U.S. $'s)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIOUS-ARTISTS-SUITE-STEEL-THE-PEDAL-STEEL-GUITAR-ALBUM-/141731014984?hash=item20ffd3a948

Also one in Holland: 8.95 Euro (10.36 U.S.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUITE-STEEL-the-pedal-steel-guitar-album-US-EX-LP-1970-/131512941054?hash=item1e9ec839fe

And also something very rare:

http://8tracksrback.ecrater.com/p/8071755/suite-steel-the-pedal-guitar

Also quite a few copies of Pacific Steel Co. :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Records-/176985/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pacific+steel+company

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 11:30 am    

removed the files..there were some problems.

Last edited by Olaf van Roggen on 30 Aug 2015 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 3:53 pm    

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0032VN9DO/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUITE-STEEL-the-pedal-steel-guitar-album-US-EX-LP-1970-/131512941054?hash=item1e9ec839fe

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2015 3:13 pm     Olaf, downloading question

Olaf, I need some help downloading if you can give an answer.

I get t the point where WE TRANSFER asks to create a file. When I do that, I then get two choices which are:CANCEL or CHOOSE. The problem is that CANCEL is the only one I can use as it is highlighted. CHOOSE is not. How can I download the file?

I use an OSX operating system. Thanks stevet

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2015 11:15 pm     suite steel

pm sent

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 12:57 am    

Wow! I never much cared for Wichita Lineman as a song - sacrilegious, I know - but it could have been written as a steel guitar instrumental! Thanks, Olaf, for my new addiction Smile

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 9:22 am    

Smile Ian, you're not alone Buddy's playing on Wichita Lineman is exquisite IMHO...Stormy Mr. Green

Christopher Fedak

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 4:27 pm    

Posting some new info on an old thread: this has now been reissued on CD.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Album/dp/B07BF7BP91

Fish

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 1:33 pm    

Christopher - Thanks for the tip!

This CD re-issue is HIGHLY recommended; as far as I know this is the first time it's been digitized from the original tapes. Thanks to Wounded Bird Records and Rhino for re-issuing this.

My two vinyl copies are 48 years old. This new CD version is like having a look at the Sistine Chapel after a good cleaning. Some of the steel tone and dynamics are just staggering. You haven't heard Buddy & Sneaky's duet of "Blackbird" or Buddy's C6th solo on "Turn Any Corner" until you've heard this. Everyone - Rusty Young, Buddy, Red Rhodes, Sneaky Pete and the one and only JayDee Maness - sound wonderful. Only $9.39 at Amazon.

Thanks to John Boylan for making this album happen back in 1970.

Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:42 am    

I recently purchased this CD from Amazon and have been reliving some memories of my early steel days. This morning on the way to work I had Prodigal (Rusty Young) playing and it made me think of how much I loved Rusty's early playing (before he was lead man for POCO). It's a simple song but his technique and tone are perfect. Have a listen here starts at 8:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnR6wvbkjDk

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 6:28 pm    

Even tho I still have my LP from 1970 I just received the CD and it is really good. I have not listen to my LP in years so it was nice just to plug into my CD player in my pickup and let it rip. I had forgotten just how good it is and so far ahead of it's time back then. It is worth every dime to get in a CD. J.R. Rose

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:11 am    

Anyone remember the article in Guitar Player Mag around 1971 about the Suite Steel recording? If so I'm looking for the magazine. If someone as copy, what month and year was it?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 9:06 am    

Duane Becker wrote:
Anyone remember the article in Guitar Player Mag around 1971 about the Suite Steel recording? If so I'm looking for the magazine. If someone as copy, what month and year was it?

According to http://www.musicmansteve.com/Maghome/GuitarPlayer.htm it's:

"September 1972 - GUITAR ON RECORD
Guitar Player September 1972...Volume 6, No. 6 Articles on Recording Studios, Grunt Records, The Selling Of Classical Guitar, Where Are The Jazz Albums?, Suite Steel, A Nashville Recording Session, This Is My Best (Survey of 18 Artists), etc."

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 11:50 am    

Someone is selling the vinyl "Pacific Steel Co." along with a CD (probably home-burned) on eBay for $25; definitely worth having in your collection, I have the vinyl in mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACIFIC-STEEL-CO-LP-w-SNEAKY-PETE-jay-dee-maness-AL-PERKINS-bonus-CD-MINT/362303357292?hash=item545af6816c:g:PZAAAOSwmBxa4PyK

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 12:22 pm    

Thanks Jim for the reply on the Guitar Player article date. I remember during that time of being in a music store looking through the music magazines and coming across the article. If I remember correctly it goes into some detail on the recording and the steel copedents, at the least, I remember Buddy's setup being posted. Cant remember if the article had the other players copedents. Thanks again.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 10:18 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I remember Buddy commenting on Pete's playing when they did "Yesterday" together (with both of them playing just pedal steel). Buddy did his lead with Pete playing the rhythm and counterpoint behind him. Then, when it came time for Pete to play lead, and Buddy to play behind him, in Buddy's own words, "The whole bottom just dropped out of the song"...showing that Buddy was pretty impressed with how Pete did the backup. Very Happy

Yes. Take a listen to the first Burrito Brothers record. When he's not soloing his playing resembles a picked standard guitar. There's no electric guitar player on the record (like on the second one).

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 10:32 pm    

Duane Becker wrote:

Duane, I have the issue, and can run you a copy of the Suite Steel article if you like.

Here's the record, featuring Buddy Emmons on steel, that inspired the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPrtfE-TBI

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 4:09 pm    

Thanks Donnie for the offer of the copy, I was able to purchase a copy of the mag on amazon. I forgot all about the article until this post jogged my memory. One of my all time favorite steel lps!