The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stop Struggggglin
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 3:06 pm    

I get calls frequently from newbies with a ton of questions. They have been knocking their brains out trying to figure this thing out. So many pedals, levers, strings, necks, tunings, styles, amps, amp settings, seats, bars, picks.....

Stop fighting it, CONTACT SOMEONE, CHECK OUT YOUTUBE, ATTENED A CONVENTION, CHECK OUT THE FORUM, ETC.

With all of the info out there today one should be able to find a good anwswer to their question in minutes. Many longtime players are more than happy to help, ring them up. Mfgs are eager to assist.

With Facetime and Skype you can be up front and personal.

Stop struggggglin, time is a wasting, reach out-get back-move forward.

Larry Behm - call, let's talk 971-219-8533

Phone: 971-219-8533

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 5:11 pm    

I humbly second what my friend Larry says.

I would add that he and I are both pretty good resources for legitimate and well-informed info (we can clear up some of the misinformed opinions you're prone to get here on the Forum and on Facebook), live and Skype lessons, whatever. My specialty is E9 Skype lessons. I believe Larry teaches both necks. Larry is a great guy, teacher and player!

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email (& PayPal fees) – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Easy PayPal link: paypal.me/JohnMcClung
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 6:09 pm    

I'm happy to help any beginner, especially those with less than the suggested number of levers and pedals. There's a lot of music in a 3+1 or 3+2 guitar with 8 or 10 strings. Whereas, many teachers and players would just say "Sell that and get something better with at least 4 or 5 levers", I'll show them how much fun (and how much music) can be made with the bare minimum. Smile

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 5:36 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I'm happy to help any beginner, especially those with less than the suggested number of levers and pedals. There's a lot of music in a 3+1 or 3+2 guitar with 8 or 10 strings. Whereas, many teachers and players would just say "Sell that and get something better with at least 4 or 5 levers", I'll show them how much fun (and how much music) can be made with the bare minimum. Smile

yep what donny said. Smile

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 6:55 am    

Yep, what Donny said. You can play a LOT of steel guitar with a 3+1 or 3+2 machine.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 7:56 pm    

If Lloyd can do it....

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:38 am    

Eric your right leave the split tuning 7 Knee 10 pedal guitars to the pros how often do they use all the extra pulls in a live setting. I would like to see what Paul Franklin could play with two pedals an two knee leavers. Playing a over loaded steel is like trying to milk a cow 4 tits at a time it can be done but who cares.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 7:27 am    

Quote:
I would like to see what Paul Franklin could play with two pedals an two knee leavers.

You've probably seen it many times already..

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 4:39 am    

I wish I had started on lap steel first.

In 1978 I met Dwight Harris who was a friend of Jerry Byrd. He came to my apartment to play some music. I was 23 with a Sho~Bud Professional and Dwight came as a 50 something like my dad with a Rick 7 string tuned to E13. What a lessen I got on touch and tone!

Oh well I was playing in bands and I just couldn't bring myself to go Hawaiian. In hind sight I wish I had.