The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microsoft Surface Studio
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:25 am    

Anybody jump off the deep end and purchase a Microsoft Surface Studio to record on?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-studio/overview

Still trying to decide a way to go on a new setup. Let me know your thoughts if you got one.

Thanks

Mack

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 8:37 am    

I don't have one but I saw a video demo at a Microsoft conference of some type and the head programmer for Cakewalk Sonar was doing a demo with (I think) a Surface Pro on how good Windows 10 worked with Sonar and recording.

But, I wouldn't go that route if I wanted a portable (laptop type) for recording. I would go with a more conventional type laptop. I have a desktop for recording (Cakewalk Sonar and Studio One 3) and a Dell Inspiron "gaming" laptop that I use for on-site recordings. I bought it last year and its a 7th Gen I5 with an M.2 SSD and works as fast (visually) as my desktopo that has an i7 6700K CPU with an SSD.

One drawback with almost all laptops that are not specifically meant for recording is they can be hard to tame for recording. My Dell is that way (and the Lenovo it replaced was that way). What I did was install a second SSD (there was space in the laptop) and installed a dual boot system. One is the original Dell image when I want to use it for general PC work. The second Win 10 is on the installed SSD and only has Windows and needed drivers, and Cakewalk Sonar.

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 10:09 am    

Thanks Jack for the input.

I have a Surface pro 4 which I could use for mobile stuff, what I liked about the Surface Studio is that touch screen is large. My goal would be to leave it in the studio.

I'm also thinking about making the jump to Pro Tools. Currently I have Sonor Professional, but seems everyone I run into has Pro Tools.

Decisions decisions..... Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 10:55 am    

I tried ProTools one time but didn't go very far with it.
Sonar is now free since Gibson dumped it and it was picked up by BandLab (and the lead Programmer and another from Sonar). The free version is the Sonar Platinum version but without some of the add-ons that were provided with the "old" Sonar Platinum.

I bought Studio One 3 after Sonar was killed, like many others, but I still like Sonar for what I do - basically use it like a digital "tape recorder".

I have an MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid (8 preamps) for my recording interface. A Behringer X-Touch control surface.