The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal REVIEW / $25 new !
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 12:51 am    

A week or two back my Ibanez DE7 Delay pedal took a nose dive into oblivion. I bought it many years back for $25 at a pawn shop. It has served me well.

A few days ago I decided to just get a simple delay pedal for the interim period and opted for the Behringer VD400, the reviews were ok, nothing nasty, it was $22 from MF , free shipping. We spent more than that on a Pizza last week .

Ok it arrives in 2 days or so, I open the box, it looks good, clean appearance and yeh it's made of plastic. It won't survive years of gigs throwing it in and out of gig bags and seats.

regardless...I plugged it in, no I did not read the instructions, yet . I just assumed that the controls were the same as every other delay pedal on the planet.

There are 3 controls. Repeat, Intensity and Echo. Pretty simple. Just like every other Delay pedal I have used. I started messing with it to create a single slap near 300 MS with a minimal delay volume level. It ain't happening. It was all over the place, no control whatsoever. I assumed it was broken, I was getting ready to send it back. BUT WAIT.

I found the ENGLISH paperwork then scratched my head.
Per the Instructions heres what the knobs do

REPEAT sets the Delay Time
ECHO sets the output level
INTENSITY sets the number of repeats ( even though there is a REPEAT knob)

Totally different or even backwards from a typical DELAY unit, stomp or rack. Not sure what Behringer was thinking here.

Ok lets try it again using the reverse language philosophy for the controls . WORKS JUST FINE Laughing I was able to set up a single slap at near 300 ms with low delay volume no issue, now that I know what the knobs actually do ! I didn't notice if it colored the tone, if it did, it was very minimal.

So it's plastic ,the knobs are labeled crazy and it uses the standard 9V / PS plug . But it was only $22 and appears to function just fine. I don't see "LONG LIFE" associated with this but it will serve the greater good for a while.

I won't return it unless it dies in the next 30 days. I doubt this is a quality unit for regular STOMP on/off use but for a single slap which remains ON all the time, it should hold up.

Certainly a much more robust unit is in the cards , such as the Ibanez DE7.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 3 Jun 2018 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 3:43 am    

Tony..One detail to be mindful of is that the ears that secure the pins on the battery compartment are VERY fragile. Changing the battery requires pushing both pins inward while simultaneously removing the cover. I have the digital tuner (clone of the Boss 'TU2?) and one of the ears broke off completely.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 6:39 am    

I've used a Behringer DR400 (like RV-3) for 5 or 6 years with my MB200 and have nothing but good things to say about it. It sounds great, is quiet, and was cheap. So what if it's plastic? I use a Boss wall wart with it and leave it on all the time, so don't worry about the switch.

I think Behringer takes a bad rap. I've got one of their 1000 watt power amps in my PA and it works great - $150.00 (Sweewater) - 1000 watts - 9 pounds!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 8:19 am    

I'm not giving it a bad rap, just reporting on what it is and what first struck me. I also do not use batteries, it's plugged in all the time as well. I have modified several pedals and accessories to accommodate the standard 9v walwart.

I also have several Behringer products, nothing but good things to say. For the money they are a good deal thats why I was not concerned about the Delay Pedal, but in the scheme of things it's only around $20 bucks new ! For this price if it even turns ON thats a positive review !

Last edited by Tony Prior on 3 Jun 2018 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 10:15 am    

I've had my Behringer Vintage Delay pedal for a good 6 or 8 years. Still going strong. I use an adapter to power it so no problems with the battery connection. In my opinion the plastic case is very tough. We steel players tend to click it on and leave it on all night, so stress on the pedal is very minimal. Might be different if we were stomping on it from a standing position dozens of times each set. The controls do take some getting used to as Tony points out, but overall the sound is good and the pedal is a great value. I've never felt the need to upgrade.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 8:29 pm    

I've always said that Behringer has it's place in the musical market. I wish they had Behringer 40 some years ago when i was starting out playing. Instead i had to use worn out, beat to death, hit & miss hand me down junk. For young folks just starting out, musicians on a budget, performers with large families and lack of funds for quality gear right now, Behringer is a life saver.

I gave away several old Behringer studio rack pieces, some 15+ years old that still worked fine. I started my home studio with them, a tube compressor that sounded as good as any of'em. Behringer has all but captured the mixer market, both analog & digital. They make & sell a $20 SM58 clone, that works extremely well. It has over 247 positive reviews on musicians friend. Not all bad. Can be your best bang for the buck. Get ya through untill ya can afford better quality.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 1:31 am    

I used it on two gigs this past week , no issues, in fact it's found a home in my gig bag ! Performed as well as or better than expected. Under $25 what a deal !

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 10:30 am    

I know this is an old thread, but there's no need to start a new thread on the same product.

I received one of these from Sweetwater for just over $20. My observations so far are in line with Tony's. I had a Boss delay pedal, but it finally died on me.

I wasn't willing to pay for a new Boss, so I gambled on this pedal. So far, so good. For what it's worth, my pedal looks exactly like Tony's. The build and cosmetics are still the same 3 years later.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 10:54 am    

Our lead player has been using this one for years , abusively and it still sounds great.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 1:39 am    

and mine is still in my 3 pedal board, used it for 2 x gigs this past weekend !

Blow me down, this thing far exceeds its $22 cost new ! Very Happy

I don't use batteries so I can't comment on the battery terminals, and still my #1 complaint is and was the printed definition of the knob functions, which I addressed.

Other than that, 3 years later and many many gigs, it performs just fine. It lives inside a small Boss 3x Covered Pedal board so its free from harm.

PS- The small Boss 3x Board needs to be modified so OTHER THAN BOSS Pedals will fit. A Dremel tool took care of that.

Geeze, I wonder why Boss did that ? Question Laughing