The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Direct Box questions
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 4:26 am    

Is the signal coming out of a direct box to the mixer line level or mic level? Is it balanced or unbalanced? And I am assuming low inpedence, right?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:45 am    

A standard "passive" DI Box does not amplify. Thus the input signal determines the output level. However, is does convert the unbalanced high impedance (e.g. guitar) input to a balanced low impedance output.

There are "active" DI Boxes and some of them are capable of amplifying the input signal.

Most DI Boxes also have a ground lift switch if ground loop hum is a problem.

This could get more technical, but no need.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:14 am     Direct Box questions

What prompted this question is tonight on an outdoor gig, I will be sending a feed out of my new Katana direct out/record jack, which is 1/4". I was wondering if I should use a 1 /4" guitar cable or speaker cable to the 1 /4" input on the mixer or, use a direct box and plug into the mic XLR input on the mixer. The feed is just for on stage monitors, not FOH. No need micing
the amp.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 10:15 am    

That output is 1/4", not TRS, so guitar cable into a direct box.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:02 pm    

George, I also use a Katana. The 1/4" D.I. is an unbalanced output. Volume knob controls the level of this signal (not affected by the Master Volume control).

Your PA system probably takes a balanced, low-impedance (Low-Z) signal thru XLR connector. You'll need to convert the Katana's output with a passive D.I. box. You can find one for $50; you can spend more.

I used my Katana's DI for a recording, and was very pleased. I tried it on a gig, where the signal at the PA was too low, so I gave up and mic'ed it. It was probably my failure to adjust the level, and it deserves another chance.

The Katana's DI out supports speaker cabinet emulation. You can connect your PC to the Katana with a USB cable and adjust it.

I'm disappointed that Boss went with the 1/4" out, instead of balanced/XLR. That's how they save a few bucks. It's still a lot of amp for the money.

I'll be interested to know how this works out for you.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:56 pm    

At risk of overlooking the obvious (my bad, I sometimes do that).... if your sound system has a 1/4" input, then try it. Use a regular instrument cable from your amp's Direct Out to the board. No DI box of any kind is needed. With a short (15-20 ft?) cable, in a quiet environment, that can work fine.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 11:30 am     Direct Box questions

Dan, I have a passive DI box, but I couldn't find it. I don't have a 20' guitar cord. I just didn't hook it up to the board last night and nobody in the band complained. This was the first time at this venue using the Katana and the Franklin speaker. Maybe it just cut through the mix better than last time when I was using my Steelaire and Telonics cabinet.

Thanks for informing me that the volume knob controls the direct out level. My BX-500 has a separate knob for the direct out.