The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gonna sell my Eharp soon
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 8:38 pm    

Gonna sell my Eharp soon

For anybody interested I'm gonna sell my Eharp soon.
I'll be returning to the USA in early July for about 6 weeks so will bring it with me then if bought by someone there.
If someone overseas wants it I expect it will cost about $135.00 just for shipping.
Guessing about $50.00 within the lower 48.

Anyway the reason I'm selling is I don't need it. Bought it to try out the 10 string Morrell E13th. Was trying to decide if I'd want Todd to build my 3 neck console with a 10 string center neck for this tuning. Well the tuning was fun, but really I find 8 strings better suited for non pedal playing for me.
Also I really didn't like the triple necks with different numbers of strings. To me the T-8 just looks so perfect so we went with that and I love it.

Fooled around with other tunings on the Eharp and settled on C6th which is on it now. I also liked the E13 with the low note at B a lot... Almost a diatonic tuning for melodies but has that classic western swing stuff close together too.
However I'm just not playing it now that I have the Clinesmith T-8 so should get it a good home. Nice mother of toilet seat pearl covering....

Have not yet decided on an asking price but will decide very soon and then post it on the for sale page of the forum.

This one is just more fun and has the tone I love best....

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 2 Jun 2018 6:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 10:21 am    

What brand is that silver pedal steel, Andy?

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 2:43 pm     Thats the Mullen

Hi Pete,
Thats the Mullen I ordered last year and received in April 2017.
It's an SD-10, G2 with 5&5. Almost all polished aluminum except the deck under the polished aluminum neck is black mica.
Like it very much as it's a perfect fit to my body and very light touch on the pedals and knee levers.
I was not crazy about the tone of the stock pickup so bought a Wallace True Tone pickup that I still need to put on when I change strings next time. May also install a tone control???
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 11:42 pm     On the For Sale page now

On the For Sale page now at this link;
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2742433#2742433
Many new photos that cover most of what I can imagine anyone would want to see.
Have a look if interested. Shocked Laughing Very Happy

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:21 am    

Andy i want that custom Mullen nice.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 7:01 am     Can't give it up yet!

Hi Johnnie,
Can't give it up yet!
In fact I'd been neglecting it for a few months while trying to get better at playing my non-pedal steels.
Just two weeks ago I started to woodshed on it again.
I thought I'd had an original idea with the polished aluminum finish, but it turned out Mullen had done three of four kind of like it before.

Still when it arrived I was thrilled to see how nice it looked and how smooth it played.
Already knew I wanted it to be a combination of Silver and Gold so I'd bought the gold tuners buttons before it arrived. It already had gold colored roller nuts.

I also knew I didn't want the Mullen style fretboard with the bright colors and really wanted a Gold fretboard.
I had a Mullen style one made in polished Gold and Flat Black;

While I liked the colors I didn't care for the design all that much.
Decided to try out other designs and colors;

Settled on my favorite Roman Numerals a lot like the old National design;

I also thought it funny that such a fine guitar would have logos that were nothing more than stickers.... Just kind of tacky for an instrument that cost close to five grand so I had these two metal replacements made in Polished Gold and Black to replace the stickers;

The crew at Mullen sure do a fine job of building a complex machine;

I have a higher than usual pad to give good support for my right arm because of a disability. a
That also works well to place my Clinesmith when I want to play A6th;

One last thing I'd say is while I really love the polished aluminum finish it is not best for the top surfaces because even fine house dust causes light scratches in the top. That even though I made a plastic dust cover to use when I'm not playing.
Those scratches do not show from a few feet away, but if I did this again I'd have the mica on the whole top. The sides do not have that issue because the dust does not settle there.

The playability of the steel and the way it fits my body is perfect. I am not thrilled with the tone. Has a good sound, but not the kind of deeper warmer tone I prefer.
I have bought a Wallace True Tone pickup that I will install the next time I change strings. May also add a tone control.
I don't want to sound too negative because if asked I'd recommend Mullen for a steel without any reservations. I'm just very picky and have strong ideas about what I like.