The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Sonny Curtis Still Playing?
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 2:44 pm    

I haven't seen or heard him play in a long, long time. Anybody know what he is doing?

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2001 11:28 am    

Gary: In the closed forum, Bar Chatter, on 21 Jun 2001, there is a thread about Sonny titled: Where Are They Now.
Enjoy...Regards, Paul

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2001 5:53 pm    

Sonny Curtis was playing in a weekend band in Columbus Ohio, and as far as I know, he still is. I think they are called Nashville Country. Jim Ebert, George Jones piano player was in the group too along with Audie Wickel(a killer guitar player and singer). I am not sure on the spelling of the names.His wife past away a couple of years ago and he is remarried. He does some work at Rome Recording Studio in Columbus.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12, SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 10:09 am    

It's been at least 4-5 years ago since I have seen or talked to Sonny.As far as I know,he's still playing a "Clark" steel guitar.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 11:57 am    

I always liked Sonny's playing. The stuff he played on Paycheck's cut of A-Eleven was right slick. Mike

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 9:53 pm    

I do know that Sonny plays his E9th backwards ,in that his open tuning is an "A"like it would be with the A,and B pedals down,and when his pushes down his A and B pedals,its a standard E9th.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2001 6:48 am    

Thanks Kenny !! I mentioned how Sonny plays from an A to E9th back in that other thread and I was wondering then if he still does. I think my next question belongs in that other thread about Breaking 3rd Strings but you know that would be a good question to have Sonny's answer to. Does keeping it pitched to an A and then lowering it to G# have any bearing or effect on his string life ??

Still Curious, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 20 July 2001 at 07:49 AM.]

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2001 12:52 pm    

I would assume that Sonny still plays that 'backward' tuning . . . when I was a young pup in the 60's, I made the mistake of sitting in on his ZB (I had one too) in 68 or so in the old Rustic bar (later Little Nashville) in Columbus. What a fool I made of myself, though I DID get through the SECOND song!

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2001 10:25 pm    

I might add too that by playing it backwards like he does,there is no 3rd e-9th pedal.He raises the 4th string E to F# on a knee lever.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 12:10 pm    

Blackie Taylor in California does the same thing. Tunes to open A6, Pedals down E9. Blackie told me that Jeff Newman when told of this tuning configuration stated: Well maybe we are the ones doing it backward.

Sonny Curtis

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 7:30 am    

I am sad to announce that my husband, Sonny Curtis is no longer able to play. He has be diagnosed with alzheimer's. Physically he is doing fine. He will be 83 on Oct. 22nd. We have sold our house in cols. Ohio and have moved to Conyers, Ga. He no long has his email account. You can contact him through me at barbieg.curtis@gmail.com. We appreciate your concern. Prayers are also greatly appreciated.

Barbara Curtis

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 8:16 am    

I’m so sorry to hear that Barbara. My best wishes to you both.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 8:45 am    

Barbara, please tell my old friend Sonny hi for me. God bless you both.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 9:24 am    

Sonny Curtis was THE 1st Pro player who took the time and patience to coach and encourage me to pursue the Pedal Steel Guitar. Each time they came to Cain's Ballroom we had lengthy visits, question and answer sessions and demo's. I attribute my chiming technique to him among other things. For this I'll always be grateful to him and also he helping Jim Clark with his Clark Custom Guitars we played.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 3:29 pm    

AMEND to that John Buffington. You do not know it but I followed you and Sonny back years ago. Back in the day of Roy & Candy's Music Store. Along with Jim Clark. I had met Jim at an American Legion event in Wilburton, Ok and he told me about you and Sonny. And about his guitars. My life took on a whole new direction. You are a wonderful steel picker and I do not think many people know that sad to say for some reason. Plus I know you are a good man. Keep on picking, Thanks, J.R.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 4:30 pm    

JR thank you for your kindness and those kind words. Back in "the day" we were all hunting anyone who would share anything about steel guitar. Sonny was and is top shelf. To this day he still remembers my talking with him and my introducing Jim Clark to him. He was playing ZB guitars at the time, Jim and I flew to Columbus, Oh., to his shop and took 4-5 guitars with us. The Lord blessed that effort and the rest is history. It is such a shame Sonny was never inducted into the HOF. This man has a wealth of history with Sho-Bud guitars and early Emmons. He told me once he played Emmons #3, it was an Emmons Stereo, I remember it fondly. Hopefully, you and I can reconnect sometime, and thank you again.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 11:52 am    

John,

Here's a YouTube of a live performance of "A-11" sung by Johnny Paycheck. It looks to me that Sonny is playing the stereo Emmons you speak of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nw7jIaRDgA

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 7:20 pm    

Glenn, right you are, that is #3. No knee levers, chrome fretboards and stereo pickups. He showed me a special plug he had to use for the stereo pickups. Sonny also told me he still has Johnny Paychecks blue suit you see in this video. The very first time I met Sonny at Cain's, they were dressed in these suits. The Emmons decal had the word "Stereo" directly under Emmons. I thought that was the most elegant looking guitar I had ever laid eyes on. About 10 years later the Lord blessed me with a black p/p, but it wasn't a stereo p/p, but that's OK, it still was an Emmons.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 9:54 am    

Barb does Sonny still have a cell phone ? I have called several times , someone answers the phone , but won’t talk ! We are concerned about him very much . I will try to contact you soon . Gary’s.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 4:24 pm    

Barbara , i tried to contact you at the address you put on this post . It would not go through . Please call me at 614-774-3109 . I would appreciate it so much . Thanks , Gary .

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 4:29 pm     Sonny

He should of been in the Hall of fame eons ago. Never could figure why he was passed by

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 4:48 pm    

Barb please call me at 614-774-3109 . Thanks , Gary .

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 5:46 am    

Bobby , it makes no sense at all why Sonny wasn’t inducted into the Hall of Fame . It’s like someone has something against him for some reason ! Sonny is a super guy and friend . Herby Wallace said Sonny should have been inducted years ago . There are some that was inducted that couldn’t carry his guitar , if you will ! Needless to say we are upset about this ! To late now there is no more steel Guitar show in St.Louis .

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:38 am    

You guys are so right, Sonny should be in the hall of fame. I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t some way we could continue the SGHOF? What would be the legalities? Would we need a committee or could we have a yearly forum poll for the next inductee? It seems such a shame to let the SGHOF slide into history!