The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  need to hear your opinions
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 4:16 pm    

I have been looking at a Roland Micro Cube amp. Do you guys have any opinions on them? It will be used in my room and maybe on the back porch. I am a beginner, but wanted something half decent.

thanks in advance......

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 4:30 pm    

Hi Bill,
I have been playing through a microcube from the beginning, and as you know I'm fairly new to lap steel, too. I love it! I take it to mostly acoustic jams and run it on battery power (perfect for the back porch). It has plenty of volume, and I like the versatility of the sounds possible, in addition to the built in tuner, aux input (for ipad, etc) and headphones jack (perfect for bedroom use). Not too long ago I felt I needed a more powerful amp for one of the jams I play in, so I bought an inexpensive 10 W job (microcube is 3 W). Well, the microcube is every bit as powerful as the 10 W amp. Roland really has their stuff together, I'd say. I've started jamming with a rock group, all electric guitars, so I definitely needed a bigger amp, and I bought a used Cube 40 gx simply because of my positive experience with the microcube. The microcube is more pricey that a lot of others in that power range, but its versatility and build quality make it well worth it in my opinion.
Good luck with your search.
David

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 1:26 am    

Bill,I have a Micro Cube that a friend gave me,It's been chopped so it doesn't have speakers,do you want it?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 3:10 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Bill,I have a Micro Cube that a friend gave me,It's been chopped so it doesn't have speakers,do you want it?

PM sent.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 7:05 am    

I've had my Micro Cube for a long time , over 10 years I think . I use it everyday with headphones , love it , but haven't used it much with the speaker.
Think you might quickly run out of volume in most situations where you are playing with other musicians , at least the ones I play with.
But your mileage may differ .

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 7:07 am     Re: need to hear your opinions

Bill Groner wrote:
I have been looking at a Roland Micro Cube amp. Do you guys have any opinions on them?

I like mine, an older pre-GX model. But it is what it is. It's not going to compare sound-wise to a nice little tube amp. For its combination of portability, versatility, cost, and sound, it's hard to beat. Great for the beach, camping, back porch, etc.

Lots of great players in Hawaii use 'em. If that's not an endorsement, hard to say what is. (Of course many of them play frypans, which sound great through almost anything.)

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 3:54 am     Micro Cube

I took the plunge and bought one. I could not be happier with it. Simple to use, a lot of nice features and I could not believe the sound out of that little box! Thanks guys for your opinions and advice. Very Happy