The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar w/ Christian African/Congo Jazz Raggae Band
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 5:28 pm    

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post this video of a gig I did with the Psalmony Band awhile ago. They asked me to sit in with them on the steel at the Edge Coffee House gig in Fort Worth.

It was pure improvisation! I didn't really know the songs or the keys they were being played in until right before the song or even as it was in progress. In many cases, I was at a loss for what to play. Other times, I just drew from past experiences of looking for holes to play in.

There is some decent steel work on song #1. Slow and easy. Since the video is somewhat long, here are some other areas to fast forward to for a steel sampling:

** 14:40 -- 18:57 (easy steel playing)
** 29:45 -- How Great is Our God
** 36:06 -- Note the cool transition from African to American...loved the change.

This was recorded on a cell phone, so don't look for a studio production. However, it's good enough to get a taste of how it went down.

I welcome any-and-all comments--good or bad--and any suggestions for improvement.

In all, I thought the steel added a lot to this unlikely pairing of the steel with African jazz/raggae music. But after some further thought...it's all just MUSIC!!

Rig: 1981 Emmons Push-Pull, Goodrich VP, NV 400 (factory mod)

https://www.facebook.com/PsalmonyB/videos/1840728626227042/
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=psalmony%20band

Thanks for watching!

Don