The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steeler on A Song of Old Hawaii?
Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 5:27 pm    

I made a cassette recording of this version many years ago from Aloha Joe Radio, and it quickly became my favorite. The tape went missing many volcanos ago but I just found it again on YouTube. Does anyone knows who the steeler is in this? Maybe Barney Issacs? Love the tone and volume swells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6eRAati18

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:04 am    

It's on my hard drive filed as by "Jules Ah See and Barney Isaacs". Not sure where I got that attribution. Are there 2 steels audible?

Not sure what LP it originally came from. Guessing maybe one of the Capitol anthology LPs of Hawaii Calls or Webley Edwards. There's a dozen or more of them.

It may be one of those LPs where both Jules and Barney play, but they don't necessarily both play on all tracks?

Maybe here:

https://www.discogs.com/Webley-Edwards-More-Hawaii-Calls-Greatest-Hits/release/8404504

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:12 am    

It's on the Webley Edwards "Hawaiian Shores" LP on its Barney and Jules.

Hawaiian Shores on Amazon

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:24 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
It's on the Webley Edwards "Hawaiian Shores" LP on its Barney and Jules.

Hawaiian Shores on Amazon

Yeah; that's probably where I got it, Mike.

I think that's the LP that contains "Girl In The Yellow Holoku", which is to die for.

The version on my hard drive has an overdub of crashing ocean waves at the ending, which are not found on the Youtube version shown in Steve's original post.

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 8:58 am    

Thanks for the info, guys!
Can't get enough of this tune.

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 11:52 am     Song of Old Hawaii

Hey Steve! I've not heard this tune before, least not that I recall. It is very beautiful. Thanks for turning me on to it.

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 11:59 am    

Your are welcome, Kevin. I too loved it on the first listen. Plenty of other vocal versions including Bing Crosby and Andy Williams, but this instrumental rules in my mind. Bet you could do this tune and Rose of Waikiki some justice.Hint, hint

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 12:30 pm     Song Of Old Hawaii

Maybe! I could use another Hawaiian tune to learn and play. I just love those beautiful Nahenahe feelin' tunes. (Hope I don't sound like a dumb white guy there)
I absolutely love the Hawaiian steel guitar. For me, it is tunes like this that move me the most and inspire me to play.

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 12:46 pm    

Kevin, I love this kind of stuff, too. This song and a few others like it have been running through my head for 20 years. I have to say your version of Pua Rose has been in solid rotation lately. Similar feel to my ears. Wish we lived closer, I would love to hang out and listen to some music.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 1:09 pm    

Steve Wilson wrote:
Kevin, I love this kind of stuff, too. This song and a few others like it have been running through my head for 20 years. I have to say your version of Pua Rose has been in solid rotation lately. Similar feel to my ears. Wish we lived closer, I would love to hang out and listen to some music.

Ya could come visit me and then we go bug Kevin! Wink

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 1:16 pm    

Would love that, Bill! I would even buy the beer.

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 1:19 pm     Bug Me!?!?!

Funny fellows. You know, after I went on YouTube and started figuring this piece out, I realized I've heard it many times before......I just never paid close attention to it. The reason for this I think is that the arrangements and performances I had heard were not nearly as pleasing as this one that you've posted. For me this arrangement and performance feels right.

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 1:21 pm    

Jules Ah See taking the lead, Barney playing fills. I wonder what instrument he’s using...volume swells on a Stringmaster or a late model Magnatone Lyric is Shocked !!!

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 1:29 pm    

Thanks Jeff for the clarification of who is playing on this gem. I hear you Kevin about this version, it took me a long time to sift through the others to find it the other day. Jeff, is this song in your repertoire?

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 4:09 pm    

Jeff Au Hoy wrote:
Jules Ah See taking the lead, Barney playing fills. I wonder what instrument he’s using...volume swells on a Stringmaster or a late model Magnatone Lyric is Shocked !!!

See, I was all set to spend my cancelled-vacation-money on a tricone, which is a fairly practical addition to my stable, and then a doubleneck Magnatone comes up on Reverb.com. I steel myself to stay the course (sorry for the pun) and then you come up and remind me of that Magnatone. I know it won't make me sound like Jules, but still... If one of you lads buys it before me that will at least remove the temptation so feel free... Smile

I've been listening to that album a lot lately...also Hawaiian Strings (also a Hawaii Calls album) and Hawaiian Guitar by the "Stars of Hawaii Orchestra" with Jules on steel.

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 4:33 pm     Love the Maggies

I got this one about 15 years ago. Sounds great but is too large and heavy for spontaneous play. I do not have the legs. Is this latest version of the Lyric?
[/img]

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 4:12 am    

That's the same model I thought he used...twin pickups per neck like a Stringmaster. Appears to be the same as in that old Tapa Room photograph, and Alan Akaka owns one just like it that did once belong to Jules Ah See...

How would you say the tone compares to a Stringmaster with yours?

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 9:06 am    

Thanks for that info, Nic.
I am not good at describing tone and I have never had a Stringmaster, however I would say the Magnatone has a very warm and rich sound. I need to get it out more, because every time I play it I am impressed with it. Likely better for Hawaiian than for Don Helms and more trebley type stuff. There is some info going around that Paul Bigsby had some design influence on these later models.

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:35 am     Magnatone

That is a very impressive looking guitar you have there Steve. Hope you find some legs for it. Love to hear it. Maybe you can post a tune on it!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:59 am    

Here's Alan's (formerly Jules') double:

And here's that image I mentioned of the Tapa Room:

You can see the guitar here a bit (dual tone wood and those large black knobs):

Now, as to when he was using this and when he was using his Fender 1000, hard to say, but he did do some cool pedal stuff!

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 9:34 am    

Dang! I was thinking Jules had the earlier model of the Lyric. I have a feeling I will soon be looking for some legs. I got it in a trade for some work I had done on a 1965 Fender Jaguar and another guitar I can't recall. The former owner said he thought he had the legs in his garage, but he never found them.

Mine is maple and walnut I believe. In the picture of Jule's old guitar the lighter wood looks darker than maple? Maybe it has been darkened by the salt air from playing on the beach so much Very Happy

I am not the kind of guy that posts sound clips, but if anyone ever wants to come over I will gladly let them play it.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 10:14 am    

You could also try a keyboard stand as an option...probably cheaper than sourcing the legs. Arguably a bit less stable though, I suppose...

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 10:55 am    

Jeff Au Hoy wrote:

I told Jeff this before but since recent events in Hawaii I will mention this again. You all know about the Volcano, but did you know Hawaii also has blizzards? (check where Jeff is and what he is eating!) Whoa!

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 12:14 pm    

STEVE...I'm sure you, being the proud owner of a double-neck MAGNATONE (ala JULES) may also recall the big brother 4 neck MAGNATONE...Yes, it did (does) exist and I actually owned one ! Great axe, but what a monster heavy beast to haul around. It was just too heavy for me so I regretfully sold it and bought a lighter FENDER Custom triple neck. If you are ever speaking with ALAN AKAKA, last time I saw him many years ago, he was the proud owner of JULES double MAGNATONE similar to yours. It still had Jules name on the carrying case. (Alan seldom played that guitar).

Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 7:05 pm    

George,
I have seen the triple neck in person but did not get a chance to play it. I have only seen pictures of the quad. My double neck is a heavy beast, so I could only imagine the 3 or 4 neck's weight. I sure do like the little MOTS covered Magnatones! I have two and play them pretty regularly.