The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana 50 watt
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 10:53 am    

Just wondering how the Katana 50 watt would be for lap steel? Has anybody tried it? Thanks, George

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 1:54 pm     Boss Katana 50

My guess is, it would be great. I have had the Katana 100 watt head for a couple weeks and used it on two gigs. I have just been sitting here for the last hour doing a shootout between it and my Steelaire. Katana wins, hands down. I am playing through an Eminence PF-350 speaker, so I don't know what the stock speaker would sound like. Try one at your local music store or order one from MF for $325.00. 45 day return with free shipping. I would definitely recommend you give one a try. Set the amp style on acoustic.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 23 May 2018 2:04 pm     Katana 50

Thanks for the input George. That's a very positive review for the Katana amp head when comparing it to the Steelaire. I'll likely give the 50 watt a try for the lap steels. I have other amps for pedal steel. Actualy, I do have a Quilter "Block 45" the size of a reverb pedal that sounds great into a Telonics 15 with the lap steels, but it's still nice to have a combo amp.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 27 May 2018 4:30 pm     Katana 50

bump

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 8:51 am     Boss Katana 50

Well, I've had my Boss Katana 50 for a couple of days now and I just love it for my lap steels. Lots of power. I've just been using the 25 watt setting here at home. The onboard reverbs, [I'm using plate], are very good, much better then the Cube 80GX I used to have. I haven't figured out if there is a way to just have one repeat on the delay. Lots of other effects that I'll probably never use. For pedal steel I have a Nashville 112 and a MB200 into a 15" Telonics or Eminence EPS.

By the way, I was using a Quilter micro block 45 amp head with my lap steels, but using the aux. input for my tracks robbed about 20% of the power from the instrument input. The Boss amp keeps the same volume on the instrument input when using the aux input for tracks. I'm wondering if Quilter is using a different measurement of wattage compared to other amp companies.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 10:00 am    

Yeah, they're great! I tried mine with the lap steels I built with humbuckers and it sounded fine. I've got an Evans and a couple mini heads (G&K and DV Mark) but the Katana 50 is my most used amp.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 12:54 pm     Katana 50 amp

George, I don't think there is any way to set the delay for a single delay except barely turning it on. This is the biggest reason I said I didn't like the delay on another post.It Reverb is very good though. For delay, you need three controls. Time, which dictates how much time lapses once you strike the string and when you hear the delayed note,number two, the mix, which dictates how loud the delayed note is compared to the note you strike, and three, the number of times the delay repeats the note. I have not been able to find three controls for delay. The one control just increases the number of delays. I think we're stuck with running an outboard delay through the effects loop. I just run my Wet Reverb through the effects loop. It has just a little bit of delay built in.

Update: Looks like the 50 watt combo does not have an effects loop like the 100 watt head only that I have.

Last edited by George Kimery on 7 Jun 2018 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 1:16 pm     Boss Katana 50

Thanks George,
Yes I agree that you can't get just one repeat with the onboard delay. I'm using a pedal, [in line, no effects loop in the 50], for delay, but the built in reverb is good enough that I have taken my Wet reverb out of the mix, at least for now. I probably won't even use a delay when I play out sometime, just reverb.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 2:01 pm    

Don't forget, the delay does have a tap button, to set the length of the delay.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 2:51 pm     Katana 50 amp?

Right, Lee. I UH forgot.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 3:35 pm    

Has anyone tried the 150 watt , with 2/12' speakers on 6 string guitar. If so how do you like it or what is the plus and minus conclusion ? Thanks.

Brian Scott

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 7:22 pm     delay repeats

I have the 100 watt head and have really been digging the sounds and features. The delay and all the effects and presets can be edited with the Boss Katana tone studio software quite easily. The optional footswitch is well worth it to be able to recall saved presets. I had a few learning curve hurdles getting into the software,but now can tweak sounds easily.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 8:43 am    

How about the fender mustang gt 200 for 6 string guitar ?? Thanks