The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's your favorite delay pedal?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:07 am    

I may have to pick up an Echo Park. I used to have one but never used the Tap features (darn). I liked it's sturdy stomp-box size/build, and stereo/mono in's/out's.
I think they are under a hunderd used.
I keep seeing the Wampler now every time I refresh my browser! It looks nice too Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 6:47 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
I have a cheap Rogue "Analog Delay" on my pedal steel board now. The normal MF type price is $49.99, but they have them on sale for $29.99 fairly often, and last month had them for $24.99 - I got 2. I see GC has them for $34.99 now. For this kind of thing, I'm a cheapskate.

It's not a bucket-brigade delay, which is discrete-time but analog-amplitude, which is what most purists call an "analog delay", but is not really "pure analog". The Rogue and many pedals like it (I think this is pretty much the same as a Mod and Belcat pedal) are based on the PT2399 chip, which is technically a "digital" delay in the sense that both time and amplitude are discretized. But I find the PT2399 to be somewhere in between bucket-brigade and what I think are the more standard digital delay chips. I find the delayed copies to be warmer than the super-clean digital delay pedals I've tried but not as dark-sounding as the bucket-brigades that I have usually tended to use.

For lack of a better word, I really do find this delay to be pretty "natural". Definitely not fancy at all - 3 knobs for delay level, delay time, and repeats. The battery requires unscrewing the bottom - but it's pretty easy if you just use 2 screws to hold it together. But the rated current draw is only 20ma, which should give reasonably good battery life for a delay. I use with a One Spot on my board, so I can't tell you how long an alkaline will really last. It's also true-bypass - I checked with ohmmeter to make sure. I absolutely require true bypass. The enclosure is solid metal more or less like an MXR pedal, pretty tough. The main disadvantages are

1. Delay time range is limited - something like 40-50ms to 350ms. This works for me for pedal steel, but the shortest isn't quite short enough to split the beat on a really fast rockabilly guitar tune and the longest isn't going to give really trippy space-echo guitar effects.

2. Maxing the repeats won't give self-oscillation of the repeats, if you care about that. Again, that limits trippy space-echo effects, but that's not what I use this pedal for. I have a pristine old Echoplex and various other delays.

3. Components are surface mounted on the board, so you should have pretty good soldering chops to make mods. It's possible to mod to increase the delay time range and make it self-oscillate, but most people will probably be put off by the touchiness of dealing with the surface-mounted components.

Otherwise, I really like this delay for pedal steel and most guitar applications. I yanked a much more expensive delay pedal off the steel board because this one just sounded better for pedal steel to me. And when they're on sale for under $30, I don't see how one can go too far wrong. I see videos of Ashley Kingman with Big Sandy using one, it's just a straightforward, clean delay. Don't know how it handles being overdriven since I try not to do that.

But YMMV - some people really like these, and others don't.

I spent some time playing with one of these Rogue pedals. I'm really liking it ... a lot. It blends quite well with reverb, almost like it's part of the reverb.

In fact, I was able to make it sound very much like reverb, by using a pretty long delay and cranking up the number of repeats. The repeats are so soft sounding that they don't sound like a machine gun. I would be fine using the pedal instead of reverb.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 8:39 pm    

I have a TC Flashback mini but this Ibanez is my favorite. Batteries last a long time, though it doesnt do super long delays.
[url][/url]
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 1:50 am    

recently my beloved Ibanez DE7 died so I replaced it with a $30 Behringer , temporarily, unitil I did my home work .

A good friend called and said grab this used Aqua Puss off of reverb, I think it was $80 used. He said buy it, if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. He was right, exceptional analog delay, I had never even heard of it ! Now I got one ! Laughing

oh yeh, the Behringer delay is parked , or maybe asleep in the storage space. It got me thru a few gigs but it wasn't for me.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website