The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U12 LKV: lower 5 & 9 or 5 alone to Bb?
David Sheads

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 10:03 am    

I just started getting into using LKV (drop B to Bb on string 5) for some licks (a nice quick slide from a minor third into the major third on string 5), and suddenly realized that I can't repeat the lick in the lower octave on string 9.

I've got a U12 7x5 in basically the stock GFI U12 copedent. Before I install the rod kit I just ordered to "copy" the string 5 lower on string 9, does anyone have any input on what fun extended chord options or other things I may be giving up? I noticed there were some nice possibilities using B and C pedals with LKV - a b9 dominant possibility on strings 9765.

Other than that, is there anything obvious I'm missing as to why LKV should only lower string 5? Any input is appreciated!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 11:25 am    

There is a third option. This may sound weird, but on my old guitar (the one I built) I raise string 9 to B#. This means that the most-used bit of P8 is available without two-footing. Yes, you lose the octave duplication, so on my new guitar (the one I bought) I have two verticals: a left one which lowers both 5 & 9 and a centre weird one for B6.

With a single lever I found (before I turned weird) that on balance, it's better to leave 9 alone to preserve the major 7th when you lower 5. It all depends whether you spend more time with E9 type sounds or B6 ones.

Hope that helps.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 12:06 pm    

If you have an E9/B6 Universal you will want to lower just the 5th string or you will mess things up on the B6 side of the tuning.

Look at standard C6 setups and you will see a lever that lowers the C to B. This is the corresponding lever.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 12:29 pm    

What Lee says. I was long-winded as usual.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 1:39 pm    

You can also put them both on there, so you have them when you want them for E9th, and just back off the String-9 end-plate tuner for that change when you don't want string-9 to lower.

David Sheads

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 2:32 pm    

Thanks for the input so far, everyone!

Pete - that’s a fantastic idea to add it but then tunie it so that it has no effect when necessary! I would not have thought of that right off the bat. It has the added benefit of meaning I didn’t waste $20 on a pull kit that I would never use. Very Happy

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 10:05 pm    

If you want to add something really useful to a E9/B6 U12, raise your 9th and 10th strings three half steps. I've had it on RKR and on a zero pedal. It works best for me on a zero pedal. Seems like long pulls but it never broke strings on my Sierra or my Excel. Besides pulling up the B and restoring the low D string to a standard E9, it pulls the low G# up to B so you still have both notes. You also gain a very cool Chuck Berry style boogie woogie style vamp similar to the guitar lick in Honky Tonk/Chicken Shack except with a 7th harmony added in.

David Sheads

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:36 am    

I’ve been leaning on my current RKR a lot for getting those “D”s back in for some E9 7 chord sounds. I’d have to look it over and see what I’d lose changing that - I guess I could just add the other raise for the 10 string to the RKR.

I’ll play around with it a bit on the SteelSideKick app and see if it’s worth another pull kit. My RKR is already the hardest/stiffest lever on my rig - I go flat on my 9 raise because I don’t keep it fully engaged as I work the volume or change the needed tension because of using the A pedal for other things. I’d worry that adding another big raise would make it even harder to engage and keep fully engaged. Do you have any thoughta on that? I don’t think I’m ready to add or lose any of my pedal changes to put that change on a pedal at this time.

Thanks for the ideas! Definitely going to look into it.