The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno earth drive
Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:11 pm    

Can anyone explain why my earth drive pedal has stopped working with my pedal steel, but works perfectly with my guitar? What happens when using it with my pedal steel is, the light comes on and the volume works, but I am getting no drive what soever. It just gets louder.

Any ideas?

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 6:03 am    

I had the same trouble with a fuzz pedal and it seems that its an impedance problem. My volume/tone pedal change the impedance so I put a Lil Izzy after the volume/tone pedal and it work!

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 6:17 am    

Do you have the distortion before the VP? Try that.

Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 6:43 am    

The weird thing is that it worked fine, placed after the VP. I've been using it without issues for about 2 years. Now it mostly doesn't work except for raising the volume. However it sometimes works like just now when I went to try out the above suggestion. It is working now, but the normal pattern is that it will stop working again.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 7:06 am    

I recommend sending an email message to Brad Sarno.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 5:37 pm    

I have always run mine before the volume pedal - straight out of the guitar into the Earth Drive, then to the VP

Works fine evereytime
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 8:34 pm     Earth Drive

Are you using it on battery or power plug?
Light comes on?
You're not by some chance using a TRS cable?

The only problem I've ever had with my ED is running the battery down.

Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 5:04 am    

I tried using in front of my VP and it works now. This is a pain because I don't want to put my delay pedal before my VP, so I have to plug in the fuzz pedal to the VP and from the VP into the delay and then delay into the amp! Before I had a mini pedal board set up to that I could plug in one end and out the other. This worked for about 2 years. Wierd.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 5:42 am    

Nick Waugh wrote:
...I have to plug in the fuzz pedal to the VP and from the VP into the delay and then delay into the amp!

Many will agree that the best results from a dirt pedal are achieved between the instrument and the volume pedal, and the best results from a delay are between the volume pedal and the amp.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 6:21 am    

Stating the super obvious but you realize that the amount of signal that you feed into any distortion pedal will greatly affect the amount of distortion the circuit generates, right? Hitting a distortion box with half-pedal vs. hitting it with the volume pedal wide open will yield night & day results. Putting the distortion before the vol pedal eliminates this variability.
Putting it after the vol pedal is fine if you play into it with full vol pedal and adjust the output with the level control on the ED. But you have to change how you use the volume pedal when using distortion.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 5:43 pm    

Hi Nick
I'm not sure where you put the Earth drive physically -- on the floor, or in a pedal board ?? With mine I got Brad to change out the stomp switch for a toggle switch, and I added a leg clamp so I can attach the ED to the back leg of my Zum ... this works a treat and is easy to adjust, and turn and off, from your playing position.

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 1:59 pm    

Sorry, just came upon this post. I have Brads "Solar Flare" pedal, fantastic smooth singing type of overdrive. I also use it often for singing long slow fiddle bow effect on slow songs. Anyways.... i tried it both ways, before & after my volume pedal. I found before thr volume pedal i had to crank it wayyyyy down, and a little went a long ways.

After the volume pedal it works just dandy as well. The volume pedal does not affect the amount of overdrive i git, it only controls how loud i recieve the amount of overdrive i have the unit set at. Actually i s'pose, being the odd man out here, but i prefer it after the volume pedal.

Incidently i have mine laid out like this:
Guitar + Match~Bro + Wah Pedal + Hilton Volume Pedal + Ohmless Yara Compressor + Solar Flare + Subdecay Flanger + Keeley Nevtrino Envelope Pedal + Big Joe Phaser Pedal + Hilton Legend Delay.

Simple to hookup, i am most generally done tuning, and doing a sound check before our guitar player is.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 8:38 am    

I have the Earth Drive and the Solar Flare. I retired all my overdrive, fuzz and distortion pedals after using these pedals. Nothing comes close to the vibe the ED & SF for transparent sonic grit.