The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Polishing help needed
Fuzzy Plant

Winter Haven, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 9:14 am    

I'm sure y'all must have answered this question before this, but I guess I'm a little behind. I don't get to read all postings in all catagories, at least not yet.
I had read on another steel guitar website that the best product for polishing my aluminun was Mother's aluminum polish. I was attempting to bring back the nice glossy finish it had previously (several years ago), but after using the polish I found that it only cleaned it up. In fact, it took away the glossy finish from one area. So, I stopped right there. I tried to buff it back, but to no avail. Am I able to restore the original glossy finish? Thanks for any help you may give me.
Fuzzy Plant

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 9:28 am    

Fred, you can go to an automotive parts or paint store and get the WHIIE rubbing compound which is made for machine buffing acrilic lacquer and contains a very fine abrasive. Use that by hand on a very soft cloth, it will take some time but will leave a nice shine. Then use the Mothers to really finish out the shine.
Jerry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 10:03 am    

What "glossy" do you have? Mother's is just a non-abrasive polishing compound and should not take away the "glossY' finish. In fact I use it to touch up the polished aluminum shine on my guitar.

I know one guitar builder that uses Mother's as the "final" polishing on their guitars.

I don't know what it would do on surfaces other than metal.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 11:33 am    

howdy, fred

you might try eagle 1 one brand called never dull. it is a wadding type polish and cleans and polishes all metals and it is the best i have found . had some minor blemishes on my zum and it made it look like new.
some auto parts stores and maybe hardware stores sell this brand----works great for me!

jack ritter
enid,okla

Matt Martin

Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 1:21 pm    

I've never used Mother's so I can't com pare it to "Maas". This stuff is really good too. Give it a try. The only place Ive seen it is Ace Hardware.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 1:25 pm    

Matt, MAAS is identical to Simichrome that is used by many for polishing aluminum. However, it is slightly abrasive, where the Mothers is non abrasive.

Some will take Simichrome (or MAAS) and go over the polished aluminum and remove "hairline" scratches and then finish the job with Mothers.

I've found MAAS at Walgreen's.

Fuzzy Plant

Winter Haven, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 3:43 pm    

Thanks fellas for your input. Greatly appreciated.
Jerry, I took your advice first, and used the rubbing compound first, then after removing all of it I buffed it with my Dremel using the 520/2 polisher. Then I used Mother's and finally got a shiny finish. No use trying anything else now, is there? Just shows y'all that I don't know everything,(although I tell my wife I do).
Fuzzy Plant

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2005 8:49 pm    

Jerry will the auto hand rubbing compound take out the scuffs you get when some dummy bumps your pedal board with the toe of their shoe? Do you have to have those buffed out? Polishing products seem to only high light the scratches. Thanks......bb