The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inspiration
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 8:12 am    

I continue to struggle with ongoing inspiration and would give absolutely anything to regain the inspiration that I had during the early 70's. For whatever reason it seems lost and watching the Lloyd Green interviews with Paul makes me yearn once again to find it. I still appreciate all the terrific things that all these great players are doing but just can't find the drive to continue to improve- perhaps it's age related but I wish it wasn't so (along with all the rest of the age related maladies that pop up). Teaching helps- learning songs like "When I Fall In Love" with great jazz chords and Michael Jackson's "She's Out Of My Life" are 2 requests that were challenging and rewarding especially because I had to teach both requested songs to the student(s) requesting them but I long for the fire I once had. I've been musing about joining Paul's new lesson plan but I fear my follow-through would not mirror my current intent. Perhaps this post would be better suited in the "Wanted To Buy" section Smile.

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 3 Jun 2018 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 8:39 am    

Hey Pali. FWIW, I find inspiration in finding a different group to play in, where you don't know all the tunes (or maybe all the genres, even) and have to come up the learning curve or risk embarrassment on stage. Of course, I hit some clams the first couple of times but I go home determined to not let that happen again.

Of course, YMMV.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 8:56 am    

Same here, Jim. Inspiration is easier to find if you're playing with a couple of bands, constantly learning new tunes. I'm playing with a young group now; everyone in the band is 40 years younger than me! It's fun, playing material I've never played before and coming up with fresh ideas on steel, or trying to anyway! Cool

Jim P. mentioned the 1970s... yes, there was more energy and activity back then. Gigs were plentiful. People went out to hear live music more. Inspiration was all over the place!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 3 Jun 2018 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:26 am    

Thanks guys! I recall a post that Jimbeaux made about 15 or so years ago about how much he absolutely loved practicing and I remember feeling at that time as well about wishing I still had that feeling. Perhaps it is that the band I've played with for 30+ years is a rock and roll based band and they guys are pretty much against playing ballads as our crowd just sits them out. Even with that- there are tons of rock things that I don't know and should learn.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:27 am    

I know how you feel Jim. Life takes us in different direction and it seems that the joys of youth have vanished.

I find great inspiration in youth and think back to a time I had went back to school ... I had to do the work. Get into a situation where you have to do the work and I believe that the old inspiration will come back. I know if I have to do something I will. Smile

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:39 am    

You could commit to playing a set at a steel convention. That'll get your ass back in gear! Smile

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 11:03 am    

I haven't played steel in the seventies, but back than I was an enthusiastic guitar player and singer. Lots of people coming around my house or going to their homes, parties where we would play. This is a long time ago. I have no solution for you Jim, since I need one for myself. It's strange when you read a certain phrase somewhere, how it can stick. That saying: If you don't use it you loose it, seems to be very cruel and I hope we'll get our inspiration back someday soon!

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 11:05 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
You could commit to playing a set at a steel convention. That'll get your ass back in gear! Smile

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 11:53 am    

Hey Pali,I not only lost the urge to practice,I lost the urge to play.Was about ready to sell all my gear when I heard Rick Schmidt play some jazz chords on C6 and the fire was lit, and it was on.I started practicing about 6 hours a day,and learned about 40 instrumentals on C6.Now I practice both necks daily,and I Skype with Rick so we can work out songs together, and I'm having more fun than ever. So maybe try a new style of music and see what happens,or try Jimbeaux's idea.Doing a set at the show,that will make you practice.The hard part is getting rid of the nervous twitch. Good luck Pali,thanks for all you do for us steelers,if I can help let me know. Catt

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 2:10 pm    

Quote:
I continue to struggle with ongoing inspiration and would give absolutely anything to regain the inspiration that I had during the early 70's.

To one extent or another, I think we all feel your pain. As time passes, we find we have to dig much deeper into the well of inspiration....

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 3:47 pm    

I don't practice at all, never did, I bought my first steel, and went straight into the band... I started playing steel because I loved music, I used my steel my whole life to play music I love, I only play when I feel like it, and when its fu... I haven't played in over 10 years ever since my daughter was born, I didn't feel like playing so I didn't play, not a big deal, recently I hooked up with a few good old guys who do little Hag tribute show, and we practice couple times a month , its a lots of fun, we had couple gigs and band was alway accepted, and invited back... its fun, but I don't go to my gig thinking about my playing, I'm going looking forward to hang out with the guys, have a beer , and have fun, playing steel is just one more reason to go, but not the only reason...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:12 pm    

When I first started playing, there wasn't any easy way to see other players. There was no internet, and there was damn little pedal steel on TV. Sure, you could hear it on the radio pretty regularly, but I used to drive or ride 50 miles just to see and hear a steeler for an hour or two. Nowadays of course, it's far different. There's thousands of clips on the internet, and countless pros and amateurs we see that we never knew existed. But...it's led to us being more isolated and detached. It's good in some ways, no doubt. But it tends to make us lazy and complacent. IMHO, all this "vitual camaraderie", somehow, just isn't the same.

And so, with all that said, I make this humble suggestion: You have to get out! Get out of the house, get out of the neighborhood, and get around new people and players. You can't learn and flourish in a vacuum, by just playing in your house. You need the one-on-one personal interface with different people, the sharing of varied ideas, and the constant "confrontation" with stuff that's new and different.

That's my 2cents, anyway. Cool

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:41 pm    

Jim -- maybe try and round up some wrecking crew folks and record some songs of various time frames, could be fun, inventive, new/old/different all at the same time.
See where it goes.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 6:25 pm    

My fire burned out back in January of 2000. I was playing a lot back then and having fun at it, then my life was turned up side down when my youngest daughter, age 19 became terminally ill. She had a grand mal seizure that left her severely brain damaged and bedridden. Took the wind right out of me. She lived for 6 years after that. In that time frame I lost total interest in music and sold all my gear. Went from a large club, county fair circuit to nothing. It was not until a year after she passed that a friend of mine, I had not seen in a while called me and asked if I would do some county fair work that next summer. I told him I sold all my gear a year ago. He knew why. He insisted that I get back into it. I bought a S10 Sho Bud and a NV 112 and got going again. My big inspirations are still Paul Franklin, Lloyd Green and Buddy Emmons. Their was a point in my life where I wanted to sound and play as good as them. After years of playing I figured that I would be satisfied doing what God allowed me to do at my own pace. And I am thankful that God has allowed me to play what I am doing now. The rest is history.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 7:02 pm    

Great replies and thanks to all of you. I play out a couple of times a month and practice w the band 3 o4 4 times a month as well. I was in another band simultaneously and we did Emmylou and Gram Parsons, etc- never played out but it was fun just to get together and play. Then the bass player died of IPF- same as what Reece had- and we kinda fell apart after that. I'm constantly exposed to tons of players at the shop and marvel what they do- Greg Leisz, JayDee Maness, Rick Schmidt, Randy Hess, Frank Carter and all the wonderful LA guys, etc. and have taken tons of lessons from Buddy, Jeff, Reece, JayDee, even some from Paul when he was traveling with Jeff. God knows- it's not from lack of exposure- I should be a monster by now but I just seem to languish in what I already know. I'm trying to play less when I do play but make it count and play in tune- another lifetime venture. Rarely do I like the recorded stuff that I hear that I've done - not sure how sick of it I have to get before I either quit or learn some new material. I'm not quite sure just why I'm going on about this- maybe just trolling for ideas- and thanks to those of you who have replied.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:57 pm    

Maybe let your ear guide you a different place. The world of sound, art and music is so big and open. I have been finding inspiration by spending time with this just intonation graphic interface:
http://tuningvine.com/
I am finding challenging and super fun gigs working with some amazing musicians playing music that is uniquely suited to the pedalsteel that has nothing to do with what I even thought of as music before.

Or sit with some Bach and slowly work your way through a solo violin piece.

Maybe dig into some Ellington.

I know I would be uninspired if I stayed in one place too long.

Franklin

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 10:39 pm    

Jim,

Don't give up hope...I'm 64 and I am learning at a faster pace than ever before......My guess is the 70's felt great because you were learning new ideas

...New songs are like buying new clothes for an out of shape body...At first we say we look better...After the newness wears off, we are left with the same body....Work on the body and the old clothes start looking better, than when you get some new clothes to showcase your hard work everyone will see how your look improved.

I truly believe you can get back to what you experienced in the 70's

Paul

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 5:07 am    

I've had a lot of experience with peaks and valleys and it has always led to change--almost always positive. I was really inspired to take up steel after a long drought of inspiration as a guitarist.

I will never be a great steel player, but I still have my experience as a leader/arranger, etc. to keep it interesting. I always aspire to be a better player, but not to the point of obsession, like in the past. I have too many diverse musical interests to stay in one zone for long.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 11:10 pm     Psg

Beginning in 1971 at age 14, my first pro steelman I met was John Hughey. That lit the fire. My first PSG was a 66' p/p, my father had bought from the Big E personally. My father died shortly after buying the guitar at age 33 in 1970. A year later Bobby Bowman marries into our family and comes from Texas to MS. He got the 66' out of the case and explained a few things and I was off to the races. Now in 2018, I'm still at it. I've found six different things that make a guitar sound and play the way I like. Enough of that. What keeps me interested in playing are the people that come places where I play. Most have a favorite song, anything from Steel Guitar Rag to Look At Us. Doesn't matter, I'll just play it and keep them happy. Another thing is, I like to study how players get ideas and phrasing, etc. for songs. I listen to and study everybody. I've always studied Hughey, Lloyd Green, Emmons. Rugg and as of lately, Franklin. Julian T. & M.Andersons' styles are interesting also. That's how I stay focused and continue. In closing, my jump start was the Sho-Bud 33 album by Neil Flanz & the Music To Get C6th By with Jeff Newman. Hope I hadn't typed to much here.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 3:08 am    

I try to not think too much about the 70's and 80's when there were a ton of clubs and gigs were everywhere. That's just not going to happen again and although it's nice to visit it's no good livin' in the past.

The thing that keeps me "into it" is playing with 3 bands now. All the new tunes require me to woodshed and stay on my toes, lest I embarrass myself. One group is strictly old country where all the songs are full of steel. Figuring out intros and licks one-on-one with the recording has once again made me realize what monsters the old players were. Jeez, they were (and are) good.

One things that's remained consistent through the years, at least in Indiana, is that steel guitar is a rarity in bands. People are fascinated by it and often just come up to watch and ask questions on breaks.

Fish

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 12:44 pm    

Hey Jim,

I'm inspired by your honesty and openness about what also sometimes happens to me when playing, either due to lack of inspiration and/or dissatisfaction with what I'm hearing coming out of my amp.

I generally feel better about things after I work on improving my technique and my vocabulary.

Vocabulary grows from learning new ways to approach the instrument. For instance, I've been working lately on improving my ear by listening to solos by masters like Sonny Rollins (especially his solos on "Mambo Bounce" and "Oleo" from the early 60's) or Charlie Parker (anything) or Charlie Christian (ditto). I also like guitar players like Robben Ford, Stevie Ray, Duane Allman and Derek Trucks. Jazz has always been a weakness of mine; it's really fun to chase these solos and try to find how to apply them to the C6th tuning (hint: I use "Amazing Slowdowner" constantly). If I find a good way to make something fit, I record it and talk it through so I can remember it later on.

Technical inspiration for steel comes from many, many different places...here are only a few examples. For vibrato and volume pedal technique: Lloyd Green on "Farewell Party" or "Smoky Mountain Memories." For bar control and picking hand co-ordination, Buddy on "Rainbows All Over Your Blues" or "Indian Killed A Woodchuck," for inspiration when breaking the speed limit, Paul Franklin on "Nervous Breakdown."

If I'm really uninspired about playing, all I have to do is play Ralph Mooney. One listen to "Rainy Day Woman" or "You're for Me" or "Wishful Thinking" and I'm back. The same is true for JayDee and Lloyd on the "Sweethearts of the Rodeo" album, Sneaky Pete on Jackson Browne's "Take It Easy," David Lindley on "These Days," Buddy on the "Western Strings" Cherokee Cowboys album or "Steel Guitar Jazz," Rusty Young on "Grand Junction (live)" or "Bad Weather." Joaquin Murphy on "Yearning" is another one. I just bought the "Suite: Steel" reissue and it's stunning. I could go on and on and on (apparently I am right now :0) ; I keep playlists of these songs so I can pull them up immediately when I'm in a slump.

Education has always been my best friend when stuck on a plateau or in a rut.

Sometimes I just have to walk away for a while - even weeks - until I can't stand being away from my guitar.

Last but not least, Buddy Emmons gave me a simple but wonderful tip that stays with me whenever I'm practicing:
"Work on removing the sounds you don't like."

Jim - you'll re-discover your mojo. Just go back and listen to what inspired you in the beginning.

I yield the floor.

Last edited by Fish on 8 Jun 2018 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 12:50 pm     Keeping the urge to play

As Jim says, try doing a couple of PSG shows in front of 4/500 steel players and wannabees -he says that will get yer arse in gear-well I did just that a few times in the 80/90's and believe me Jim - my arse is still welded to the last seat I tried it on ??? Seeing as some player called the Big-E was in the audience waiting to do his bit!! Groan - I know my place now !! To carry one of those do's it also helps if you can play! Hah!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 3:09 pm    

Fish wrote:
Hey Jim,

Vocabulary grows from learning new ways to approach the instrument.

Education has always been my best friend when stuck on a plateau or in a rut.

"Work on removing the sounds you don't like."

This is great advice. If you think you are all done learning about rhythm, take up a percussion instrument. In about a month you will be applying rhythmic concepts to your steel playing that you never thought of before.

I like Paul’s “new clothes” analogy too. Playing an old song in a new way might serve you well the next time you learn a new song. I once heard an excellent band play Sweet Home Alabama in 3/4 time. It was fresh and beautiful and I have never forgotten it.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 3:42 pm    

It happens...

Sometimes getting out of my comfort zone helps. It’s more challenging, and more stimulating.

I look for genres where you don’t expect steel. It makes you compose more, and that makes for a more creative experience. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. I’d rather try and miss than to not give it a try.

I find avoiding gigs I know I’ll hate keeps me happier. I’m a nobody, but if I find myself at a gig asking myself “ Why did I take this job?, I knew it would be a drag” It doesn’t help with my general motivation. If that means working less, no problem. I’ll use that time to become a better player. When the cool gig comes around , I’ll be better for it.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:27 pm    

Hi Jim,
I wish I had a ton of sage advice for you. But I don't. BUT .... I've heard you play and know your passion for the instrument. And therefore I believe in you.
Go back to where you started and you will find your fire.

Jim Hollingsworth