The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  royalties for jams, club performances
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 9:00 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:

Heck, let's all capitulate, forget performance, we'll sit in circles and think music, take it back--into our heads, where it came from.
Air music. Take Back the Music! That'll fix ASCAP. Excuse my rant.

And we can just think payment - just sit and think real hard about paying them. There - done, paid up till next month! Laughing

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 9:29 am    

'Xactly. You don't take on the Girl Scouts, it's one of the stripes in the flag. Thugs. It's enough to take back my membership over.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 4:40 pm    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
'Xactly. You don't take on the Girl Scouts, it's one of the stripes in the flag. Thugs. It's enough to take back my membership over.

Your Girl Scout membership?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 4:10 am    

Laughing

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:26 pm     Where’s my money?

My album was reportedly played on many stations in the early nineties, I heard it twice I also heard it once while walking into a CVS, We were ascap, I’ve never heard from them for my 98 cents. But we only had to pay 36 bucks to cover a Beatles song, they said they would get more as sales dictate, well sales didn’t dictate much and never heard from them either. Some dude in Nova Scotia covered one of my songs once, he sent me a card, it was nice.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 5:08 pm    

I was on a cruise in South America, it was a Dutch owned sailing ship. They had a television hooked up to a computer for presentations. We found they had on the hard drive almost every movie released in the last 10 years, at least popular ones, most people on the ship were European and I was told in Europe they pay absolutely no attention to the copyright laws for movies or at least that is the common practice.. I would assume the same is true for music.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 1:22 pm    

I'd be a lot more comfortable if we could pay the songwriters or (their own agents) directly. Big organizations (yes, even nonprofits) have myriad employees, and all of them wind up getting a chunk of the songwriters money.

I gave up donating to one of the big "global" charitable organizations when I read that their C.E.O. was making almost a million a year. Nowadays, I donate directly to specific charities. I realize there's still some bureaucracy involved, but it's a lot smaller, so more money can go where it's supposed to go.

Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 2:08 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I gave up donating to one of the big "global" charitable organizations

Me too. If I feel like "giving", I give to a person in need. I was at a red light the other day and a real down and out looking dude was on the sidewalk with a sign - "I just need a beer".
Yep - I handed him a Budwiser.

Richard Wood

Georgetown, TX
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 9:45 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:

And what about churches, most of the praise music and the newer gospel stuff is licensed/copyrighted isn't it, do they pay?

Churches or other religious groups are supposed to buy licenses through CCLI (the type various) for playing audio, printing, displaying electronically and performing songs. It's not very expensive but it is an annual fee and also requires a monthly report.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 12:13 pm    

Richard Wood wrote:
Darrell Criswell wrote:

And what about churches, most of the praise music and the newer gospel stuff is licensed/copyrighted isn't it, do they pay?

Churches or other religious groups are supposed to buy licenses through CCLI (the type various) for playing audio, printing, displaying electronically and performing songs. It's not very expensive but it is an annual fee and also requires a monthly report.

We do that at our church.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 7:36 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
in Europe they pay absolutely no attention to the copyright laws for movies or at least that is the common practice.. I would assume the same is true for music.

wrong... I had a keyboard player friend who's dad's job was to go around restaurants , bars, clubs etc.. and collect money for the music they played ... somewhat like "protection fee" Al Capon used to do back in the days...

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:06 am    

Damir:

Who did he collect the money for?

And I wasn't saying it never happened, just the people from Europe told me, at least for movies, they usually don't worry about copyright.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:40 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Damir:

Who did he collect the money for?

And I wasn't saying it never happened, just the people from Europe told me, at least for movies, they usually don't worry about copyright.

he was working for government agency which protects right of composers, artists, song writers etc... can’t remember the name of the agency now, could be ZAMP... as far as movies go, if they are played legally on TV or in the movie theater, all the royalties are paid, only time they don’t care about paying is if they are bootlegged, but that’s the same as here in US

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:53 am    

I used to know a guy who worked for either ASCAP or BMI, can't remember which now. His entire job was to hang out in bars all day and write down every song her heard.

He was an alcoholic so it was great gig for him. Smile