The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cart suggestions for moving gear in one trip
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 10:03 am    

After many years, I think it's about time to retire my folding hand truck and get a cart that will let me move everything in one trip. I am looking at the Rock and Roller R6RT as a possibility. Anybody use one of these or have other suggestions?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 10:55 am    

Mine is old enough that I don't think it has a model number but it seems to match up with the R6RT. No complaints. Gave me a lot of years of good service and is still ready to go if I need it.
Note that the small front wheels don't like soft or rough surfaces like grass etc. And stand-up usage such as setting it up as a handcart as per the pictures is totally impractical. I never tried that again after one attempt.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 12:03 pm     Cart suggestions for moving gear in one trip

Jon, thanks. I read the reviews and I am aware of the small front wheels. I very seldom move on grass and when I do, I can borrow a folding hand truck from our guitar player, or if I know in advance about the grass, I can just take my old two wheeler with large wheels. Not a deal breaker.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 12:44 pm    

I use an R2RT Micro. Here is what I haul from my old Ford Explorer in to the venue:

One of my S-10 guitars goes on first, creating a base.
Then I line up a Fender Steel King, a tool box full of cables and stuff, and a Cube 80XL. On top of the tool box I can fit my small, vintage Ace Pac-a-Seat.

A long bungee cord goes around the gear and the two folding handles.

The Micro is just long enough for the steel guitar case to fit, with just a smidge of space on either end.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 12:51 pm    

Except for those two caveats, and assuming that they are still made to the same specs with the same gauge steel, I think these are great. You do come to realize that they, themselves, become a piece of gear. I once packed a car to the rafters with mine and several peoples' gear and had to still find a way to squeeze the cart in (without damaging any gear). It is somewhat heavy/awkward in such a situation. But how can it not be, being the next step up from a lightweight hand truck.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 1:08 pm     Cart suggestions for moving gear in one trip

Lee, the micro is the first thing I looked at, but I am concerned that it may be a little too small. I have my steel in a well padded soft sided case. I can't lay it flat on a cart and sit things on top of it. I have to stand it on it's end. I have a speaker cabinet, a Boss Katana head, a computer carrying case,a folding piano bench, and a padded case with legs and rods. Nothing big or heavy except the steel (36#). I am sure I can fit everything on a cart, but I will have to figure out the best way to stack and keep everything on the cart. (Bungee cords?) Everything is in padded gig bags.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 4:22 pm    

I have the R6 and it is a real life saver. Fits a steel, amp, seat, and still room for more. I once fit an entire PA system on it in one trip.

Last edited by Joseph Carlson on 13 May 2018 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 4:51 pm    

I also have the R2. I load it just as Lee described. One trip. Using the cart, you may find that there is not much advantage to using a soft case for the steel. You probably won't need to carry it very far.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 6:33 pm     Cart suggestions for moving gear in one trip

Bill, using a soft case for the steel has nothing to do with how far I have to carry things. It is all about lifting weight. I have a bad back, bad knees, and have had to have hernia surgery. All these prob!ems are from lifting a heavy steel guitar. I can handle things OK now after splitting the steel into two cases and going soft sided. I wish I had done this year's ago. I have even got rid of my pack-a-seat to cut down on weight.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 2:20 am    

I've got an older version of the R2RT model. Folds up compactly for carrying in vehicle. It holds my Franklin (2 cases), speaker, seat and amp. I can move them all at once in locations that are a distance from my vehicle.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 9:01 am    

Although the Ground Glider Caster w/brake are 5" wheels made for the R8 and R10, I confirmed with the company that the mounting bolt is the same size as those on my R6 and bought two. https://rocknrollercart.com/products/5-x-2-ground-glider-wide-caster-w-brake-upgrade-for-r8-r10

The 1" diameter difference only raises the front of my R6 1/2" and they work much better on soft surfaces. (If you do a Google search, you can find them a little cheaper from other sources.)

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 5:49 am    

Looks great for flat or ramped surfaces, but how does one work on stairs?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 9:28 pm    

Drew Pierce wrote:
Looks great for flat or ramped surfaces, but how does one work on stairs?

They all have angled bars in front of the rear wheels to help up stairs. https://rocknrollercart.com/collections/multi-carts

In my case with a loaded D-12, Stereo Steel rack case and speakers, plus my steel seat, it's too heavy to pull up stairs by myself, but with someone pushing and lifting the rear a little, it's not bad. Definitely easier than unloading, carrying up the stairs, and reloading again.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 4:13 am    

I use an r-6. I get my guitar (splitcases), seat and steelaire on it. I need to put a couple of bunji cords on it, to keep everything in place. Highly recommended if the places you play don’t have stairs.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 4:59 am    

Come to think of it, nothing works very well on stairs. Two wheel hand trucks work ok but can be a bear to pull upstairs backwards carrying any serious weight. And simply schlepping your stuff up and down stairs by hand has its own perils.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 12:18 pm    

These are the bomb for more than just your music gear, very versatile, heavy duty. https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Aluminum-Truck-Assisted-wheels/dp/B00HOGSOPG. I got mine at Costco for $89 about 15 years ago, still going strong.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:11 pm     Cart suggestions for moving gear in one trip

Ian, very impressive cart. I am glad that you have got 15 years of service out of it. I read the reviews and just about everybody has had parts of it to break. The new ones are probably not built as well as yours. It doesn't look like it will fold down compact enough to fit in my brother's SUV with all the other gear.

Thanks for your help but I don't think it's for me.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 6:07 am    

Look at the R-12. The wheels are bigger. I can get my amp, seat, and guitar in one trip.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 7:22 am    

well here is the one my daughter bought me . COSCO brand, not Costco...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCiTW7Lh-eU

weighs 15 pounds holds 300 pounds. Folds up small and tight. Around $60

Here is what I load.

Steel, AMP, extension speaker, gig bag, seat and guitar on top ! ONE TRIP, all gear. I've been using it for about 2 years now, 2-4 gigs a month. I estimate everything on the cart weighs maybe 160 pounds. No issues with doorways, ramps etc...doesn't do stairs though !

IF and when it breaks I'll buy another !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 29 May 2018 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 8:10 am    

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=eMB9UE0Mag4