The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  teaching thought
Gary Rue

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 4:09 am    

I notice on some teaching videos a lot of front loaded talking on how important the lesson is and why and it is so get to it.
Just a thought!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 8:41 am    

I don't always make it through the preamble.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 7:35 pm    

I guess this caught my eye because I am a retired teacher. Teaching caught my eye.

Other things being equal, I go for tab + audio rather than a DVD.

When I do get a DVD, I rip the audio, cut out the basic sound files and use that with the tab that comes with it.

IMO all of this is to save the time it would take to work the song out by ear. So the style of tab is important also.

I always prefer tab that has a time value, like 8th notes etc.. Some of the best stuff is only available in the by hand format so I use a lot of both.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 11:49 pm    

Digressing from the OP, I know, but tab with no note values drives me mad. Worse is things that look like bar lines but are really just gaps in the lyrics.

Gary Rue

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 2:15 am     What are you doing with it?

My favorite performers and musicians take to paper to bring along or be brought along but loose it as soon as possible. Imagine going to a play and watching the actors reading.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 10:30 am     Re: teaching thought

Gary Rue wrote:
I notice on some teaching videos a lot of front loaded talking on how important the lesson is and why and it is so get to it.
Just a thought!

Hi Gary-

There's a couple schools of thought on that technique. It's known as the "tell 'em, tell 'em, tell 'em" approach as in: "Tell them what you are going to tell them, Tell them, Tell them what you just told them. I think it goes back to the Dale Carnegie courses on Public Speaking and Presentations. Some still swear by it, others reject it.

In the days before video, verbal repetition was believed to help many learners retain the given info. Now that we can re-visit and re-wind, it's not necessarily the best way to reinforce concepts to the student.

With Paul's Course, we decided to have a Lesson Preview that "prepares the field" and gets the student ready to listen for specific concepts. The Lesson Preview is typically a concise summation of what the video is about to teach. Once you have read the Lesson Preview, you can click the box and it will close, keeping it out of your view. Some folks find the fewer distractions the better, and the option to view or hide is the student's.

Then you watch the video Lesson and study it. We don't spend much time talking about what is about to be taught since we already did it in the Lesson Preview.

After the video is a Lesson Highlights section that re-iterates the key points and take-aways and often gives some tips on studying the material, additional resources to check out and suggestions on applying the concepts. This too can be closed from view leaving only the video.

There is also an option to take Notes that are stored in the Course, allowing you a searchable, printable, customized "Lesson Highlights" of your own making.

Here's a brief "walk-through" of some of the Course lessons that show the experience: A Look Inside The Paul Franklin Method

John
The Paul Franklin Method Team

Gary Rue

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 2:04 am     late to the party again!

I had so much fun watching the interview of Loyd Green by Paul Franklin. (warning! don't do this if you have a day job.) Really a thoughtful, wonderful, experience.