The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Needing Repair
Neil Harms

Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 5:18 am    

Hey Folks. A buddy of mine has an old Franklin that needs a pretty extensive cleaning/rebuild and setup. It is beyond what I want to tackle. Any recommendations on someone to tackle this job? We are in Mid-Missouri but can get it to Nashville easily on Monday so looking for a quick tip. Thanks much for any ideas.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 5:37 am    

Mike Cass in Nashville is my first thought. I was going to have my Franklin refurbished by him (and the price was reasonable) but instead tackled removing and cleaning the E9th changer myself.

Paul (Sr) can't do it anymore so he is out.

One note if the changer has to be removed, the neck has to be removed to access a couple of the changer mounting screws. In order to remove the neck you have to remove the fretboard to access the neck screws and will require a new fretboard. Paul still had some when I did mine last year.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 9:30 am    

Jeff Surratt at ShowPro could help you out. He’s in Mount Juliet.
Thx, Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 10:07 am    

Neil:

Your topic heading says "repair".

Your post says "cleaning/rebuild set up".

In my mind they are NOT the same.

"Repair" implies something is broken and needs replacing.
If this is the case, whomever you go to for the work, talk to them and make sure that they have the parts on hand, unless you want to leave it wit them and come back to pick it up at a later date.

"Cleaning/rebuild set up" to me implies that nothing is broken and all parts are there, they just need to be cleaned and adjusted.

Franklin

Post  Posted 27 May 2018 10:33 am    

Before you have some one do anything call my father and tell him what's going on.....If it has not been played for a year or more it probably just needs lubrication by spraying a penetrating oil underneath through the changer...Do that lightly and let it sit and work the pedals an hour or so later.....The mechanism unit does not wear out...
Paul

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 12:17 pm    

Jeff Surratt did a new formica with aluminum strips to replace the old matte, cleaned the parts on mine, as well as help set back up. Jeff and Paul Sr. are the only people that I have had work on my guitars.

Neil Harms

Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 1:29 pm    

It needs both repair and setup/maintenance. I got the E9 neck working but it is still pretty gummy in there. Some of the knee levers and pedals were removed at some point in the past and my friend would like them reinstalled. It's a deeper dive than I can make I think and given the value of these guitars, I don't want to be the guy who screws it up... Thanks for the info and ideas! N.

P.S. It sounds amazing. This is the first one I have ever seen in person and the first I have gotten to play. What a treat. Just an amazing instrument that will be so much better when put back to 100%.