The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Another New Member
Steve Richards

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 9:34 pm    

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Steve Richards, 54 and live in Charlotte, NC. I haven't posted here before as I have gotten so addicted to just exploring around on the Forum and getting lost in different links.
At the moment I don't have a Pedal Steel, but I am very interested. The type of music that I feel most attracted to would probably be considered West Coast or Austin City Limits style (ie Country/Rock, Folk/Rock, Blues, and some older '50-'60's Classic Country). I'm not too keen on standard Top 40 Commercial of any style. Here lately, I've been trying to find out all I can about Sneaky Pete and Curley Chalker. I also like the Basil Henriques style I've heard!
So - I guess my first question is would some type of cable Fender be OK for me to learn on (400/1000 later model or 800/2000). I've also been looking really hard at the Fender Artist model - S10 3+4 or D10. What kind of prices do these models usually go for. I think that I'm mostly interested in the Fender Artist model. How are these as far as cabinet drop (whatever that is) and staying or returning to being in tune? I also would like to have the option to experiment and tinker some. At any rate I'm gonna have to sell my acoustic guitar before I can do anything, Hopefully I can get around 1,000 +/- for it. I don't really want do mess with E-bay. Then I have to deal with the wife ( "you're wanting to get a what - I don't like country music")
Well I guess that's enough for now. I'm usually very shy!

thanks for letting me join up!

Steve

oh, is being left-footed an advantage?

now back to the Forum

Steve Richards

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 9:38 pm    

don't know how this got on twice. can the fixit man fixit?

thanks

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 12:35 pm    

Hello Steve, my name is Steve also, first question are you left handed?, because you mentioned being left footed, and if you are left handed check with Bobbe Seymour at steel guitar nashville for a left handed GFI, or check with Carter steel guitars (world Class Steels)John Fabian can set you up with a left handed Steel guitar, I recommend a Emmons setup to start with.

Steve Richards

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 4:52 pm    

Hey Steven,
yeah I am left-handed. I sort of meant the left-footed thing in jest. It does seems tho that if I were sitting at a pedal steel guitar my left foot would feel more natural with the pedals.

One thing I was wondering about though is being left-handed and it's probably just me. On a regular 6 string guitar if I goof off and play "air guitar" I naturally pretent to play it left-handed but in reality I play and have right handed guitars, but my right hand doesn't feel quite right being that I am left-handed.
On the other hand it seems like if I just reach out and pretent to play "air pedal steel" then having the bar in my left hand and pretenting to pick with my right hand seems more natural, seems weird to me. Anyway, I think I'm gonna go for a normal handed model.

One thing I was wondering about was the pluses and minuses of the Economy GFI model vs. the Carter Starter. I know that the Carter Starter is 3+4 and I think that the GFI Economy is 3+2 but you can order 3+4 for more doe , I think. How do their tones compare? Which is the better value? Their pedal are set up the same but one or two knee levers are different on the 4 lever GFI setup. Is this a problem for learning? I have seen/heard the Carter Starter demo video on their web site. Is there any where on-line that has sound samples of the Economy GFI. I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed my choices to these.

well so many thanks again!

Steve

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 5:31 pm    

Closed due to duplicate post at http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/011067.html

Welcome Steve!

------------------

-j0ey-
www.JoeyAce.com