The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for double 10 players?
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 12:52 pm    

Front E9th neck or back c6 which neck is more ergonomically comfortable for you to play for a exstended time. Also do u ever wish u had started with them in reverse order when u first began to play? It sure didn’t hurt Curly’s ablity to play.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 2:05 pm    

Playing the back neck is basically like playing an S10, (with the floor pedals a bit farther forward). Having the front neck as primary provides the "loafer" feature of a D10 or SD10. Ralph Moony also had his primary neck on the back, which didn't hurt his career. I suppose its mainly a matter of what you get used to. I've never felt compelled to reinvent the wheel and play either S10 E9 or standard D10 with E9 on the front.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 3:39 pm    

for what it's worth, i find it less comfortable to play the back neck, but maybe that's because i'm cringing so much from sounding so bad on it.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 4:45 pm    

I get neck cramps easier on the back neck. Not so bad on the outside neck. Most noticeable in a 4 hour gig. Play mostly 1 and 2 hour shows.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 2:44 am    

I've always played a D-10 with E9th on the front neck. I've had 3 D-10's, first a Fender 2000 then a 71 Emmons and finally the Franklin.

My wife has an S-10 GFI and I can play it but its not comfortable and I have to work at it.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 3:34 am    

I am quite comfortable with both, and able to adapt easily. If I had to put them in order, I would say I prefer the feel of the Back Neck. But, it's a very minor difference to me. That is, as long as I always put something under my forearm while I'm playing the front neck. Otherwise, the plain steel strings on the back neck tend to oxidize prematurely.