The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 Lap Steel Instruction
Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 12:21 am    

I don't see much here regarding six-string C6 lap steel instruction. What's the best? Hopefully, something that starts at beginner level, and progresses to intermediate, and includes some tab for standards----Sleepwalk, Walkin' After Midnight, Apache, Blue Eyes, and the like...

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 5:54 pm    

Check out Andy Volk's stuff for C6:

http://www.volkmediabooks.com/

As well as Doug Beaumier's tabs for C6:

http://playsteelguitar.com/

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 5:35 am    

I have this one by Scotty, and really like it:

https://www.melbay.com/Products/95666M/basic-c6th-nonpedal-lap-steel-method.aspx

Joe Wright also has a very lengthy DVD for 8-string C6 non-pedal that is great, but I'm not finding it on his website.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 7:58 am     C6 instruction

We are fortunate to have a lot of good C6th instructions.
For me, I got started off with Doug Beaumier's books. They are perfect for me because they are exceedingly well done, put on quality paper, large print, timing and everything is there and the songs progress from easy to challenging and the songs sound good. Doug's works gave me new steel guitar playing life. Smile Smile Smile
Dick

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 9:36 am    

I second the recommendation for Doug's books. Along with what has already been said the books are spiral bound allowing them to lay flat on the music stand.
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 3:59 pm    

There is tab and then there is learning to play and learning theory. For learning to play and learning theory I recommend Andy Volk's book and Mike Neer's Steelin' Modes and Scales.

For some good tab, look at Greg Cutshaw's lap steel arrangements. They are free and there are about six that are must haves for lap steel. There are just a few but they are just as good as anything with a price attached to it.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 8:01 am    

Scotty's books are good and will teach you a lot of useful things. As far as tab books for great sounding arrangements, I don't think Doug Beaumiers books can be beaten. They are beautifully printed, spiral bound and come with CD's with demos and background tracks. A steal at their prices and a must have for anyone playing this instrument. They are really pretty much song books with a little basic instruction, but you would be amazed how much you will pick up that you can use in your own arrangements when you get to that point.