The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picture Size Question
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 10:05 am    

A dear sweet friend of mine bought me a new android galaxy phone bless her heart. I'm still trying to set it up. I know what the photo size requirement is for the forum.

What i'm wondering is, what is the best overall size for posting on social media, also taking up a little less storage space, and won't look so huge on the forum page. I can't stand some forum post where you have to move the whole post around to see a steel guitar.

The choices on my phone are:

4:3 (8.0M) 3264 X 2448
4:3 (3.1M) 2048 X 1536
16:9 (6.0M) 3264 X 1836
16:9 (2.4M) 2048 X 1152
1:1 (6.0M) 2448 X 2448
1:1 (2.4M) 1536 X 1536

Also What should I change the pixel size to when taking pictures for walmart photo finishing for a scrap book?
Thanks fellas for any help. Tried to search online, but mostly all disagreements.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 6:26 pm    

Certainly, you'll want to shoot in the smallest file size. This leaves you a few choices that result in a 2.4 megabyte file. The choice of orientation should be decided by the viewfinder. If you have a widescreen camera (or phone with camera), choose a wider than tall resolution (16:9). This type of photo will display on a widescreen monitor or tv set. This can apply to horizontal and vertical shots that have this layout in the viewfinder.

OTOH, if you are shooting a subject matter that is more or less square, choose one of the last options, preferably the lowest file size option (2.4 mb).

No matter which option your phone allows, they are all too large for web use. You will need to edit the results in a photo editor that allows for cropping and image resizing, plus sharpening and color enhancement.

I use Corel's PaintShop Pro for these tasks. I sometimes just load a group of similarly aligned large images into FastStone Photo Resizer, applying the reduction in size, cropping and sharpening I prefer (after previewing the changes).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 7:02 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
You will need to edit the results in a photo editor that allows for cropping and image resizing, plus sharpening and color enhancement.

I just open it in Microsoft Paint, which comes with Windows, and click "Resize" and choose something like 50% or 35% and then re-save the image. That usually does the trick in under 30 seconds.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 7:22 pm    

Thanks guys, this sure helps alot. I was using way yonder too much storage space. I think your suggestions are a great place to start. When i got the phone, it was set to default at the largest size. Thanks much.