The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation Pre Amp hook up to My Nashville 400
Robert Herr

Willow Street,Pa
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 5:59 am    

I recently bought Sarno Revelation Preamp and a Lexicon MP1 in a rack unit.How do I hook up the Revelation to the power amp in my Nashville 400?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 6:17 am    

I've not used either the Rev nor the Lex units, but here's my suggestion:

Run the MPX 1 in the Rev's FX loop, and patch the Rev into the NV400's power amp in jack on the back of the amp.

That bypasses the front end, preamp section, of the NV400 and you use the Rev for all the base eq, levels etc.

I defer to Brad of course, but that's what I'd do.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 6:23 am    

You should be able to leave the effects unit hooked to the Rev and just plug your Rev outlet into the "PWR AMP IN" jack. As Jerry said, you bypass the Pre Amp section of the NV 400 and only use the Power Amp side. Normally when you do that the Volume switch of the amp is of no use to you and you control the output volume with the Rev controls. Not sure how the NV400 is wired.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 6:36 am    

I have owned a number of pre-amps including a Revelation and tried to do this.
I did not see any acceptable results until I used a higher powered rack amp.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 6:43 am    

I run my Rev through a Webb Amp using this method and it sounds great. Never tried it with a NV.

Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 2:28 pm    

I have heard from a lot of players that the Rev and the mpx1 don't play good together, just what I have heard. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 4:21 pm    

Not True. There are some routing settings that need to be set correctly but once done, they are an excellent match.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 8:49 am    

Right.

The Lexicon MPX-1 is a total nightmare of a device to navigate and program - so unpleasant that I don't even like to recommend it.

BUT - if you get the routing set up properly, those Lexicon reverbs are gorgeous and the MPX-1 works perfectly with the Rev's parallel fx loop.

B+

Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 1:33 pm    

Hi Robert.

I have my own design of all valve preamp which has a parallel loop for effects and I use an MPX1 in my effects loop.

My understanding of it is: by the time you get out a parallel loop, digitise the signal, perform DSP processing, and convert back to analog there is quite a delay in this effects signal which is a phase delay to the origional signal.

However when the effects are inherently delayed signals anyhow such as Reverb and more especially Delay then delay times can be reduced in the MPX1 and you are compensating for the inherent loop delay.

It is critical not to allow any dry signal to go through the loop as this will cause undesirable 'comb effect' sounds. So the MPX1 must be set for 100% wet mix.

The idea being to keep the tube path as pure as possible and only mix in the solid state effects just before the power amp.

if any non delay type effects are required, they should be inserted in series with the signal path.

i think using the MPX1 after and in series with an all tube preamp such as the Rev sort of defeats the idea of trying to keep a pure tube sound for as long as possible. With the MPX1 in series your nice tube sound is converted to/from digital and runs through a lot of relativly low quality electronics, (not in the same class as the Rev) The MPX is 20 /24 bit conversion so is a class above the Profex 16 bit and Lexicon reverbs are superb, but just use as much as is absolutely necessary in your signal path.

I believe many use tube preamps and then run through series digital effects and do get a good tube sound as the initial tube is certainly the most critical. However if you have a parallel loop then it should be the best way.

There are quite a few MPX1 Reverb and Delay programs on the forum, (Buddy & Randy Beavers) are a great starting point and you can adjust to your taste.

The MPX1 is really easy to program, bring the manual to bed with you, the first month is the worst !!

Alan..