The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Sets Packaging
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 10:11 am    

I like most string sets I have used. Some of my favorites have been Live Steel, D'Addario, Jagwire and Curt Mangan.

I do think there could be some improvement in packaging.

I have figured out to keep all my strings sets in ziplock bags with dehumidifier bags due to rust and deterioration.

I also am not wild about having a whole set sealed and having to decode a color scheme especially when I need to change one out in a live show.

So my packaging suggestion would be to individually seal each string from the elements with a big gauge label on each individual string package.

Probably bumps up the cost too much.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 11:17 am    

When I first moved to Florida (1996) I had nearly a dozen each of George L's E9th and C6th strings. I was worried about the Florida humidity and vacuum sealed the sets using my wife's kitchen vacuum sealer. A couple of years later when I ran out I ordered a dozen sets of E9 and C6 from George L's but didn't vacuum seal them. Didn't make any difference, the strings stayed just as "new" as the ones that were vacuum sealed.

In ref to sets from different brands, my only gripe is the D'Addario's with the color coded ball ends and they should be individually packaged. I don't mind the "eco friendly" but pedal steel string sets need to be in individual envelopes - sealed or the "old fashion" way. I see GHS is now individually sealing strings in sets.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 11:21 am    

Well I just saw this
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329838

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 1:45 pm    

Quote:
I also am not wild about having a whole set sealed and having to decode a color scheme especially when I need to change one out in a live show.

You mean you buy only sets?

I don't know any gigging guitar players (of any kind) that do that. Every gigging player I know also buys singles of specific gages *if* they break strings.

But if you are breaking strings very much at all I'd no be worrying about string packaging. I'd look at picking technique (is it too hard or at the wrong angle) or the guitar setup (burrs, sharp edges etc). Or maybe you are leaving your strings on too long. You should periodically change the entire set - not just strings that break.

I haven't broken a string on stage in over 40 years.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 8:01 am    

I don't see colors very well, and that alone is reason enough for me to pass on the D'Addarios. PIA... plus they're all packaged together which sux. Personally, I'll pay for some convenience, i.e. separately packaged/labeled strings.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 12:12 pm    

Mr Sliff. My picking technique is fine thank you.

I do buy whole sets cause its cheaper and change out the whole set frequently, but occasionally one breaks.

I am super impressed with your 40 years.. I guess I'm just not as good as you.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 12:31 pm    

Charlie- I enjoyed my visit to your web site. Lots of good videos, photos, and information.

"Pedal Steel and Multi Instrument musician with over 50 years of experience."

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 2:28 pm    

Charlie

Lived in Mt Pleasant and IOP for many years. I used to play the windjammer when it didn't really have a front door
Pre-Hugo.

I have strings sets all the time that get a little corrosion when they sit in my seat too long. I use the "Blitz" cleaning cloths to take the spots off. Plus there is the added benefit of the cloth keeping them cleaner and therefore livelier for longer periods of time.

I think Harold Steiner still sells them. Just make sure you get the one made for guitar strings. They sell a variety of products for different uses.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 2:25 am    

I worked in a music store in Nashville. 99% of the strings we sold were sets. I only recall one session lead guitar picker that had his "own" gauges. All the pedal steel strings, except extras, were sold in sets.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 4:24 am    

It seems so wasteful to have each string wrapped individually. I’m for anything that cuts down on packaging and garbage.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 22 May 2018 4:39 am    

Not sure why we keep having this conversation. If you do not like the way the D'Addario strings are packaged, do not buy them, just that simple. I keep seeing people complaining about the way they are packaged, but that is the way it is, and I doubt they are going to change any time soon. Just makes for a "cleaner" package IMHO.

I also buy sets of strings as I change all my strings when they lose their "zip", as I call it.

Again, if you do not like the way the strings are sold/packaged, just buy something else that is packaged the way you like. Problem solved.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 4:46 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I’m for anything that cuts down on packaging and garbage.

Agreed! My string packages go in the recycling bin.

I put my old strings in the recycling bin, too.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 6:08 am    

D'Addario has a string recycling program. I think the minimum they will accept is 2 pounds. They will give you points for their rewards program.

I've used George L's for years. I ran out of George L's and bought some GHS Supersteel's when I bought some 6 string guitar strings from juststrings.com and can't hear any difference between GHS and George L's. But that's probably not a coincidence since GHS OEM's strings for George L's. The set I got, the GHS strings were individually sealed in plastic packages. I don't know about new stock George L's but what I have/had are in the old school paper envelopes.