The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar unConvention Brooklyn NY June 1-3 updated
John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 10:09 am    

Dear Friends,

Looking forward to the masterclasses Sat June 2nd. Many people have asked if they should bring their instruments. The answer is "No". You will not need a lap steel or pedal steel for the masterclasses.

Hope to see you in June!

John E.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 4:00 pm    

Hello John, Just a comment here from a good old boy in Oklahoma. Wishing you a good turnout and all goes well.
You have a young friend out on East Long Island that is really into Pedal Steel, Tim Kelly. I hear thru John Widgren that he is on fire for learning and learns fast. I recently sold Tim a Black SD-10 Rains that is an Awesome Guitar. One of those that has some guts and growl to it. Tim has told me he plans on being there. I would be to just to support but it is only 1500 miles.
Too much for an old timer. Have fun and enjoy and Keep on Picking. J.R. Rose

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 7:52 am     Hey JR!

Thanks J.R.!

I know Tim! I hope he makes it out. (Tim, I'm talking to you! June 1-3 Jalopy Theatre! Be There!)

John Widgren has been absolutely instrumental (no pun intended) in helping all of us get up and running. John is so generous with his time. Whether its repairing our instruments or showing how to play steel guitar. I think Jonny Lam, Rich Hinman, Tim Kelly, and many others would agree. John is an incredible resource and a great friend to all of us.

As for the festival, I know that we will hear some wonderful music June 1-3. I also hope that our event can bring together the local steel guitar community. In the last few weeks, I have heard from lots of local players that I've never met before. There are some good players floating around here but we aren't that organized or even aware of one another. Hopefully our event will get people excited about steel guitar, bring musicians together, and help promote a more active and vibrant local steel guitar scene.

Thank you for reaching out and thanks for your support!

All the best!

John E.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 5:16 am    

is the venue within walking distance of a subway stop? I'm in Manhattan near the F train. I was hoping hoping to listen to some of that "bad" (!) steel guitar music (Byrds, Burritos, etc.) as the only night I can be there is on Friday.

Blaine OBrien

San Francisco, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 8:34 am    

Ronald, you're in luck! It's just a few blocks away from the Carroll stop on the F/G line.

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 9:08 am     Directions to The Jalopy Theatre

Jalopy Theatre (315 Columbia Street Brooklyn, New York 11231.)

Walk from Subway

F train to Carroll Street.
Walk west on 1st Place (it will become Summit St). Cross over BQE. Continue down Summit St to Columbia St. Mak a left. Jalopy is two blocks down Columbia St.

Subway and Bus

Option 1: trains to Boro Hall. Walk South on Court St to Atlantic Avenue. On Atlantic Ave, take the B61 towards Ikea/Red Hook. Get off on Summit and Columbia Sts. Continue down Columbia St. two blocks to Jalopy.

Option 2: to Jay St/Metrotech. Catch B61 to Ikea/Red Hook on Smith St. between Fulton & Livingston. Follow above directions.

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 9:07 am     T Shirts!

Dear Friends,

We have T shirts! If you would like to buy one to help support our event please let me know! $23. Hope to see you next weekend!

John E.

We have S, M, L, and XL

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 4:38 am    

John great shirt design. Can you recommend parking situation for the event. The subways won't work for me. Thanks!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 6:44 am     Parking

Hi Craig,

This post is for you and for anyone else coming into the city for the steel guitar fest.

There is no magic solution for parking. You may find a spot in 10 seconds and it may take you 15min. The best advice is to allow extra time. The Jalopy Theatre is in a neighborhood. You will be able to find a spot but you may have to be patient. Please read the street signs, don't park in front of curb cuts, fire hydrants, etc. The neighborhoods North and East of The Jalopy (Carroll gardens, Cobble Hill, Columbia St Waterfront) are some of Brooklyns nicest. It is safe and beautiful. To the south of The Jalopy is one giant tunnel to manhattan and a warehouse district. The layout of the highway, tunnel, and such will make parking over there a lot less convenient.

Hope that helps! See you next weekend!

John E.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 8:59 am    

So sad about the bad timing for me. Laid up for 10 weeks, so can't make it. Hope you do it again.

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 7:32 am     Bill

Sorry to hear that Bill, Rest up and we will look forward to seeing you next year! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

John E.

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 8:08 pm     Here We Go!

Dear Friends,

Steel Guitar unConvention 2018 starts tomorrow! Thank you for all your interest and support. Really looking forward to this! Hope to see you around this weekend!

All the best!

John E.

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 7:36 am     Phenomenal show

I was at the show last night (in fact, I bought a three day pass) and it was fantastic. Each of the three performers, Susan Alcorn, Doug Jernigan and Mike Neer, had their own take on the instrument, and the backup band were solid players! My only disappointment was that the audience was, at best, half full. I realize I am preaching to the converted, but this is a unique opportunity to hear some amazing music, so get over to the Jalopy Theater in Brooklyn this weekend and support live music!

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 2:12 pm    

I was there too, great varied show. As I was up front I was happy they played at a reasonable volume. Wish I could make all three days. Hopefully this will happen again next year.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 2:19 pm    

I wish I could be there but can't make it, was going to come in with my brother-in law but unfortunately his dad passed away on Friday so we have funeral tomorrow to attend. I worked a 12 hour day today and am totally bushed. I am interested in getting a couple shirts if any are left. Have great time and tell Lucky I say hello.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 5:30 am     Another great evening

Four great acts last night, lots of different styles. I’m always amazed how people who have never played together before can sound like they’ve been together for years. Real pros, that’s for sure! Looking forward to the gospel steel today and the final jam. Get over there! Also, I keep seeing camera people all over, hope this is available at some point!

Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 1:35 pm    

Finally have a good reason to make my first Steel Guitar Forum post.

This was a great weekend. Thanks to the organizers for putting it together and thanks to all the artists for coming out. There was such an amazing variety of styles and truckloads of talent. Good to meet most of you. See you next year.

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 6:01 pm     Excellent Sunday

Great third day! Felt like I was in church at one point and that’s a compliment. If you were there you know what I mean. The organizers should be proud of the weekend they put together. Hope this continues for many years to come!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 6:37 pm    

I hope some pictures are coming? J.R. Rose

John Eichleay

Albuquerque, NM.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 2:04 pm     Thank You

Dear Friends,

Thank you for making our first steel guitar show a success. We heard a ton of great music, made some new friends, and had a blast! With any luck we will be back next year!

Special thanks to the featured performers (Doug Jernigan, Susan Alcorn, Lucky Oceans, Myk Freedman, Kashiah Hunter, Raphael McGregor, and Mike Neer.) We certainly couldn't have done it without all the fantastic accompanists. (Jim Whitney, Diego Voligno, Nate Radley, Jason Laughlin, Skip Ward, Larry Eagle, Rob Garcia, and everyone else in The Dime Store Romeos, Blue Steel, and Mike Neer's band. Thanks to the Jalopy Theatre as well.

All the best from your friends at the Steel Guitar unConvention,

-John Eichleay and Raphael McGregor.

Jonathan Lam

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 4:30 pm    

See you guys this coming weekend. I can’t wait for the event!!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 7:18 pm    

Anyone have pictures they can post? Thanks, J.R. Rose

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 12:28 pm    

Thanks, John. It was a distinct pleasure playing at the unConvention as well as seeing Doug Jernigan and Mike Neer's perfprmances. It was nice connecting with friends old and new. And it was a night to remember.

Thanks to you and Raphael for putting this on.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Jonathan Lam

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 2:47 pm    

When is this happening? Love to be there.