The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  9 pedal D-10
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 1:44 pm    

On a D-10 with nine pedals, what is the extra pedal usually do on C6th? Have one I’m tweaking out and has 9 pedals but 8 isn’t doing anything so need to put something on it, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 4:30 pm    

Hi Henry, on both my Zum Hybrids and my MCI I have moved the C6th setup across one step - I have the Franklin pedal on 4 and no C6th changes on it - hence the shunt to the right for everything else - it just stops pedal 4 having too stiff a feel :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:53 pm    

Thanks Paddy, he doesn’t want the Franklin pedal. Do you know of a C6th pull Incan put on it? Pedal 9 is pedal that drops bottom C to A, 8 was nothing and 7,6,5, and 4 are normal C6th set up.

Jim Evans always played 9 pedals but don’t know what 8th pedal did. In fact, this was Jim’s guitar at one time but someone removed 8th pedal pull off it. It’s an Emmons push pull, 70’s guitar.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 6:31 pm    

I'm gonna do a 9 peddlar and put the boowah on 9 w/o the c to c# raise for a fat low min7. Buddy had this on one of his guitars.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 7:21 pm    

John Poston wrote:
I'm gonna do a 9 peddlar and put the boowah on 9 w/o the c to c# raise for a fat low min7. Buddy had this on one of his guitars.

Then put the C to C# on 8? I would like to hear that played.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 10:08 pm    

How about dropping 4 and 8 1/2 tone to a G#.? Anyone have that lower on their C6th.?

Mike Flick

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 10:41 pm    

You could put the inverse of pedal 6 in that position. High E to Eb, low E to F.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 1:31 am    

If you put C-C# on a pedal, it is very useful to have it next to traditional pedal 5. That gives you a tonic 6th chord three frets up from open position, as well as a major 7th chord two frets down from open position. I have it in position 5, with traditional pedal 5 in 6 position, and pedal 6 on a knee lever (RKL).

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 1:01 pm    

Rich Peterson wrote:

Then put the C to C# on 8? I would like to hear that played.

No - pedal 8 will be normal, pedal 9 will be same as pedal 8 but without the c# raise. That way I can just stomp away without thinking too much. One for major, one for minor.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 8:55 am    

I don't have a 9th pedal but a few extra knee levers for C6 so I use one of them to experiment with sometimes. Recently I put a change on it that Jimmy Day had on an extra pedal. Lower 8th string A to G and lower 2nd string E to D. The 8th string lower turns a 6th chord into a major chord by lowering the 6th to a 5th, a nice strum on strings 8 to 5. Used together with pedal 8, it turns the tonic which is now on string 8 into a 7th, great for strumming a low-voiced 7th chord.
The 2nd string lower is useful for playing country licks on C6, at least if you have a G as 1st string. It may have some use for chords also (turns the 3rd into a 2nd), but I'm not sure what that chord would be called.
By the way, if you, like me, prefer G as 1st string instead of D, the 2nd string E to D lower offers some interesting possibilities for single note playing. The more I play around with it, the more I like it. It would make sense to keep this one.

Last edited by Joerg Hennig on 22 May 2018 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 1:07 pm     try the low E to F

Low E to F change. Found that on Greg Cutshaw's site some time ago. Lots of great uses and sounds there. Visit his site for a whole list of those, and various other changes as well. Best Regards.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 7:46 am    

Mike Flick wrote:
You could put the inverse of pedal 6 in that position. High E to Eb, low E to F.

To me, it makes more sense to me to have that change on P4, as it can be used with P5, the same as P5 & P6. Unless he wants to use both feet to get that combination.