The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does this ever happen to you?
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 4:45 pm    

Not nearly as much as it used to...
Great feeling when it does.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 1:39 pm    

Every experience player does to some degree or another.

Around here we call it being "in the zone" or "playing unconscious".

And it's not *really* that you're playing about "your level". It;s that you're not having to think about it. Which is how it should be most of the time if you're well-prepared.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 7:51 am    

I wish they happened more often. I can remember just about every time it’s happened in 40 years. I borrowed a term I heard on a self help cassette where they were describing a time when your mind and body are in a relaxed form of total synchronization —“-a state of flow”.
Last weekend on a local gig a triplet style lick came out of nowhere that I’ve NEVER been able to execute before. It shocked me so much I wore that lick out the rest of the gig. Lol...

As stated earlier, I really wish it happened more often.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 7:59 am    

I wish they happened more often. I can remember just about every time it’s happened in 40 years. I borrowed a term I heard on a self help cassette where they were describing a time when your mind and body are in a relaxed form of total synchronization —“-a state of flow”.
Last weekend on a local gig a triplet style lick came out of nowhere that I’ve NEVER been able to execute before. It shocked me so much I wore that lick out the rest of the gig. Lol...

As stated earlier, I really wish it happened more often.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 12:57 pm    

I've been playing steel for a long time and there have been times, when, everything just comes out right. I don't consider it playing over my head, but, playing what my ears and my mind want to hear. Most, if not all, of us have heard licks or phrases that really grab us. And, we practice it until we can get it right or close. Then, just like magic, it all comes together and sounds perfect. It makes me feel great, just as I'm sure that's how you all feel to. It's how we all should play, all the time. But, sadly it ain't so. I don't have an answer as to the why's and why nots. The situations just happen and they are euphoric! Realistically, we're not pros, who, sound perfect and effective all the time. But, when that pro episode happens to us, for however long it lasts, it makes the whole thing complete and satisfying. Relish the moment and always try to repeat it.