The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Student 10 experts?
Joshua Signorini

McDonald, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 4:59 pm    

I have a student 10, it needs work, a new pickup for sure. Does anyone have any info on these guitars?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 6:32 pm    

Do a search under "Fender Artist", and you'll find lots of info. Here's a fairly recent thread that covers the basics:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=188565&highlight=fender+artist

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 8:49 pm    

Hi Joshua,

Searching the forum via Google I find to be far more effective.

Simply use " " for an exact phrase (e.g. to find posts with an exact phrase like 'Lloyd Green's tuning' you can put it in quotation marks - "lloyd green's tuning" - and the search will only come up with posts with that exact phrase, rather than posts that mention 'lloyd', 'green' and 'tuning').

Then you can designate the search to only search the forum by typing site:steelguitarforum.com (if you want only the newer version of the forum you would type site:bb.steelguitarforum.com)

So, a useful search for you in the Google search box would be:
"fender artist" site:steelguitarforum.com

Hope this helps.
Greg

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:00 pm    

OP is asking about the student model, not the Artist. Different animal, the student model is basically a Maverick -- pull release changer, no neck. I believe they have the pivot-style fingers in lieu of a changer axle, but otherwise pretty similar to a late 70s Maverick.

If you can be more specific in describing the kind of info you're looking for and the nature of the issues you need to address, you'll get more useful and accurate feedback here. "It needs work" doesn't tell us much. Pictures are always helpful too.

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:42 pm    

Sorry Ian. I'm not familiar with this model

Joshua Signorini

McDonald, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 3:43 am    

Thanks everyone,
It is a 3x2, I was told it was a Sho Bud/Fender venture, it does look just like a Maverick to me. I'm trying to find a ballpark value, it played pretty well but could stand a good once over. I had a BL-705 in it but removed it. Are there any shops who work on them or would be interested in buying?

Any info is appreciated.
Thank you
Josh

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 9:49 am    

It's probably not worth a whole lot, I would think maybe $700-$800 in very good working and physical condition with a good case, less if it needs help. Again, some pictures would get you some better feedback here. That said, you still see shelf paper Mavericks listed for $1200 on Ebay. I don't know if people actually pay that much for them.

Anyone who knows steel guitars could work on it for you, they're very simple mechanically. You will of course reach a point of diminishing returns fairly quickly if you're paying someone else to do it. That might mean selling it as-is is your best choice if you're not comfortable working on it yourself, but perhaps there are other players in your area who could help you sort it out. Good luck!

Greg - apologies if it sounded like I was chiding, was only trying to steer the conversation back to the OP's question.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 12:28 pm    

Not sure of any "shops" in the Pittsburgh area that work on pedal steels... Problem with that particular guitar is the fact that shipping it to and from a repairman will cost a quarter of its entire value.. throw in labor and a few parts, and its up to half what the value of the guitar is.. Ian was thinking along those same lines..

I know those fender student models pretty well, 3 and 2, pull release- and they sound and play well, and are easy to set up... Similar to a Maverick but some I have seen have Super pro type rods and bellcranks, somewhat better than the Mavericks used.. they also use a different changer, tuning head, and a Fender made pickup.. I could have it up and running great for you, but even if I charged absolute peanuts, shipping would be pricey for a low value guitar, and a decent new pickup is $100, unless a used unit that fits is available. .. if you were closer, I would do it while you wait, but its a 6 hour drive each way...

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 14 May 2018 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 1:08 pm    

It sounds like you aren't all that hot on keeping the guitar.. Price it "as is" needing a setup and pickup, list it right here on the forum, and I'd bet you would get $500-600 as she sits if its not all clapped out..bob

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 10:51 am    

Quote:
It is a 3x2, I was told it was a Sho Bud/Fender venture, it does look just like a Maverick to me. I'm trying to find a ballpark value, it played pretty well but could stand a good once over. I had a BL-705 in it but removed it. Are there any shops who work on them or would be interested in buying?

If it's a 3+2 it is NOT a "Fender Student" unless it was modified. The Student model came with only one knee level.

If you post pictures we may be able to identify it. Without them it's impossible to be sure, and there's quite a difference in value/usability between a Student and Artist model.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 3:04 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Quote:

If it's a 3+2 it is NOT a "Fender Student" unless it was modified. The Student model came with only one knee level.

If you post pictures we may be able to identify it. Without them it's impossible to be sure, and there's quite a difference in value/usability between a Student and Artist model.

Jim, I have personally seen the Fender student models with 2 knees, and Super Pro parts, [bellcranks, pull rods, clips, pot metal levers etc], except for the changer which was P/R. No raised neck... Set one up about 2 years ago for a local guitar shop, and have seen 1 or 2 others over the years.. They were not the S10 Artist model , but were a bit "upgraded" student model... Might be they sold a few in that configuration at increased cost, or ran out of Maverick style parts, but they do exist.. bob