The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Arm Pad for D-10 **I don't play without it**
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 11 May 2018 8:46 pm    

A few years ago, I was playing at the Dallas Steel Show at the Rittenberry booth. There were several people watching and mostly steel players. A little man came up to me and said you need one of these! I said what is that? He said it's an arm resting pad/protector for your C6 neck. It is a neoprene layer, covered with a fabric, and layered on the bottom with a magnetic sheet. At first, I was leery of the little man, just pushing something off on me to buy, but then I tried it and needless to say, I don't leave home without it. I've tried to find him for the last couple of years at the Dallas Show, but to no avail. So, mine wore out after a couple of years, and I had to dissect what was left of it and try to fabricate my own version. After spending about $75 bucks on glue, neoprene, fabric, etc...I finally made one and "voila"...it is fantastic. The magnetic sheet sticks slightly to your strings, but it will move easily enough if you need it to. It saves my right forearm from "string indention" and also protects my steel from tarnishing. It will also save your strings from rusting because of the sweat and skin buildup while your arm rests there. They will last considerably longer without coming in contact with your arm/skin/sweat. I have purchased quite a bit of neoprene, fabric, several colors (blue, red, black), glue, etc to make probably about 100 for now. Depending on the demand, I will get ready for more. I am charging $10 dollars, plus postage. It will last about 2 years depending on the pressure you put on it, washing, etc. Mine started cracking where the highest part of my changer housing stuck up, so I turned it end around and it lasted a little longer. Let me know if you'd like one. They won't break your pocketbook, and i'm sure not gonna get rich making them. I'll have some photos and a short video available in this post for your viewing pleasure. You can email me at larrytoliver@windstream.net or you can text me at 325-518-3947. I'll call you if need be. PayPal me as a friend if you'd like to pay that way. The friend option allows me to get the $10 dollars without losing a chunk of it to PayPal.
Thanks and Happy Steeling
Larry Toliver

VIdeo... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHcJcIqSVnE

Last edited by Larry Toliver on 18 May 2018 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 5:19 am    

Larry,
I’ve been looking for one of these for a while. Would you need neck measurements?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 6:10 am    

Well, Larry, if you would stop resting your arm on the strings...

Laughing

Sounds like a good product. I wonder what became of the guy you purchased your original one from.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 12 May 2018 9:57 am    

The simplest ideas are always the best.

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 12:45 pm     Arm Pad

I think George Kimery is your guy?
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=297035&highlight=arm+pad

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 13 May 2018 1:22 pm    

Kevin
I believe you are right.

Wow, only 3 left. But ive got plenty.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 15 May 2018 12:45 am    

I got mine from amazon $22

[img]https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1712/2177_666CD9B75FFA4EF6AA6D100957ABDFED_1.jpg[/

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 16 May 2018 6:06 am    

That pad is a little different. The one we are talking about is in the video I posted in the announcement. I got 4 orders, so you can figure what the total is. I spent a little over $100 bucks getting glue, scissors, neoprene, magnet sheets (expensive), etc. I do love the steel guitar, and hope to contribute to its ongoing success. If you've purchased one of my pads, and aren't happy with it... I'll be glad to take it back and refund your money. It's funny, the scissors to cut the 2 sheets thick magnet were about $15 bucks, and after the 3rd pad, they were already dull, and gummed up. The things we steelers go thru to play one of these things is truly amazing.
take care yall....and see ya later.
Larry T

ps. all 4 pads shipped out this morning (5/16)

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:42 pm    

Brian that nice

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 24 May 2018 7:59 am    

Well, I have been overwhelmed with arm pad orders.
I'm working tonight, Friday and saturday to get everyone fixed up.
Thank you everyone
Larry T

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 1:21 pm    

Sounds a lot nicer than mine.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 29 May 2018 1:34 pm    

I am mailing out about a dozen today. It took me a day or 2 to catch up. Thanks everyone!
Larry T

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 6:01 pm     Steel guitar arm pad

Larry, I am that "little old man" that invented and had the pads in Dallas. I am 6' 3" and weigh 200 LB, so I don't think I qualify as a little old man.

I had some health problems related to breathing black mold, so I dropped out of sight and stopped making the pads. I sold them for $5.00 plus $2.00 shipping and was not making anything if I had counted my labor.

I have been planning on making more in June, including 24" ones as well as my standard 8" length.

Of course, I don't have a patent on these, so you can legally make all you want. I am respectfully asking you to cease making them once your inventory of materials is deleted. I am retired and living on a small SSI government check and food stamps. I need to get these going again to give me a little more income.

Anyway, glad you liked my product. I don't want to be without one either

Regards,

George Kimery

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 11:14 am    

Hey George,
Glad to hear from you. I'm making them considerably wider than you did. I wasnt trying to get your business either. I've only made a dozen or so. I'll consider your request.
Larry T

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 5:26 pm     steel arm pads

Just a quick note on the arm pads. I've mad a ton of them and hopefully have not forgotten to send one to someone. If I've overlooked you, please let me know. I have been extremely busy lately, and one might possibly could have sneaked through the crack if you know what I mean. I deal honestly, as I want to be treated. I've had some guys contact me that have tried the gentleman who made them before me (that I do not want to treat badly) and can't get a response. So, I've made pads for them. I am trying to keep up with the paid versus sent list, and hopefully I've not missed someone. If so, please call or email me and I'll get it to you asap. I am over the busy month that I've just had.
Thanks,
Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 8:17 pm    

Well, only 2 left to make and I'll be totally caught up. My wife bought a 10 foot sheet by 3 foot of magnetic sheeting. It is now gone! Over a 100 or so pads have been sent out. I have just purchased a nice paper cutter that cuts perfect lines and the new ones will be considerably straighter than with my scissors. If you do still need a pad, or wear out your old one.. Please let me know. I am now making them better than ever. Thanks again to everyone for helping me with the pads. I do like feedback, if you have thought of a way to improve them!! I'm open for ideas.

Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell