The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW Stringmaster Deluxe?!?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 7:48 am    

This must be some kind of bootleg, right?

Fender: Electric Guitar DLX-6 STEEL GUITAR: https://www.ebay.com/p/Fender-Electric-Guitar-Dlx-6-Steel-Guitar-wbl-6/9018553726?iid=263636588800
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 7:51 am    

Yes, made in Japan. Notice that the seller is in Japan.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 8:39 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Yes, made in Japan. Notice that the seller is in Japan.

I'm not clear on your reply Doug.

Are you saying yes, it's a bootleg - because it's made in Japan? Or "yes," it is indeed made by Fender but in Japan.

Unless something has changed very recently, Fender still has a Japanese operation. The guitar is listed as being made of basswood, and a number of their standard electrics use this material, so it wouldn't surprise me that this guitar isn't a bootleg but is in fact made at the Fender Japan factory.

$2000 plus is a lot of money for a "bootleg" guitar.

It's also a lot a lot of money when you consider that one can get a nice vintage Deluxe in good condition for considerably less.

On the other hand, I plugged in the serial number listed in the ad to the Fender website, and it came as a Fender American Professional Jazz Bass. Hmmm...

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 8:57 am    

Mark, I guess I was confused by the term "bootleg". I've always assumed that this is not a Fender product because it is not listed on the Fender web site.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 3 May 2018 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 9:21 am    

Could be a one off or made in very small numbers which likely would not be shown on the website.

Remember the fancy koa Stringmaster made several years ago at the Fender Custom Shop in Corona to be displayed at NAMM, and it was ridiculously expensive? Never made it onto the website as I recall. But it was also a one of a kind.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 10:08 am    

Yes, that "one off" was made by Fender in California. This one is made in Japan and it has a Fender logo on it, but I'm not sure if it's Fender authorized or a "bootleg". I've heard about Fender Stringmasters made in Japan in recent years, and I've always wondered if they're real or fake. It seems to me that if this were a Fender product they would be advertising it somewhere. Maybe someone else here has more info...?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 12:09 pm    

Here's one of many discussions from around 2003 when these were being made by Fender Japan.

It's not a bootleg, but it's pretty expensive.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 8:18 pm     If it's not a bootleg...

.... WHAT is it? Are they gonna be available here soon?

I have looked for these every couple days for several months and I've only seen this just now.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 8:24 pm     Upon reflection...

I JUST purchased a used early 60s Deluxe 6 (I'm looking for an 8 if someone has one to sell), and it's a little dinged up, but it's a REAL Fender and I trust that SOUND.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 7:19 am    

Speaking of real Fenders, here's my current favorite. It's on loan from a friend. A Deluxe 8 with lots of character, cigarette burns, beer stains, bar room smoke... all the good, honest wear you'd expect to see on a well played guitar. I've been playing it as a lap steel and leaving the legs in the case.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 7:38 am    

I've got one of those along with some of its bigger brothers. Very Happy

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 9:11 am    

who in their right mind would pay over $2,000 for this when you can get a Clinesmith for much less.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 9:45 am    

I don't know if they're current production, although they seem to be able to produce them when they want to. But I thought it was common knowledge that Fender Japan had continued making these in recent years. It's technically a different company. Nothing bootleg about them. The guitars pop up on eBay, but always pricey.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 1:45 pm     Stringmaster Deluxe

Here's mine. I'm guessing it's early to mid-1960s, and has telescoping legs.

It's for sale if anyone's interested.