The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dekley Hum/Buzz problem
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 8:23 am    

I recently bought a Dekley S10 steel. I really like the sound of this steel, and after cleaning it up and adjusting it, it plays really nice too. The one problem I am having with it is that there is excessive hum/buzz from the pickup. I have checked, and there doesn't appear to be any obvious problem with the wiring. Does anyone have any suggestions for remedying this problem? Has anyone tried any other pickups other than stock on a Dekley, and if so how well did they perform? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 4:55 pm    

Larry,

I have a 70's vintage Dekley S10 with the stock pickup. I get very little noise from it running through my Match Box to Hilton volume pedal to amp. It's much quieter than my single coil Strat or Tele.

My suggestion would be to make sure the shield wire is connected and that no wires are frayed, broken or hung up in the rod or changer mechanism.

Bill

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 6:26 am    

The stock pickups are single coil so a bit of hum unfortunately seems to be the std. bill of fair. Since the neck is cut out for a narrow based pick your options are limited w/o doing some modification which is not for the faint of heart. An E66 (Geo L) would be a decent solution however you will need to drill out the original mounting holes under the pickup a bit and make a couple of spacers stand offs to allow for mounting.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 4:50 pm    

A "Hum Debugger" pedal works well too. I have a couple of guitars that hum like bees in my den (which has AC wiring under the floor in abundance), but are fine in other locations. The Hum Debugger cleans that right up. I don't have to use it everywhere, but it sure works well when you need it.

Dave