The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  9th-string-root chord dictionary for E9
Ralph Willsey

Ottawa Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 6:37 pm    

I picked up this instrument to play hard ol' honkytonk, but in the process I've been hearing some other sounds too.

I understand you can play some pretty wild chords off the 9th string, and maybe I could figure them out. But if somebody else already has, it would save my ol' wife and her ol' cat a lot of suffering.

Apologies if this has been recently covered. I've been away from the forum because of a change in schedule.

RW

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 10:57 pm    

Some of the cool stuff about dwelling around the 9th string involves using it as a root in conjunction with pedals A&B to make major 7/major9th sounds, but...
some of the coolest stuff to be found around the 9th string means using it as just another element of the chord, expressing it rootless.
Like the same loose voicings to express minor 7/minor 9th/11th chords, only rootless.
-John

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 5:11 am    

The 9th string is, in my opinion, what makes E9 such a great tuning.

For just one example, try it as a root with B and C pedals too - 9/6/5/4 (B/C), then 9/6/5/4 (lower 9, lower Es, no pedals), down two frets (same strings), down three frets and hit the same strings with just B and C pedals again.

Starting this sequence at the 10th fret would give you Cmaj7th, Bm7, Am7, and GMaj7th, but with a much richer timbre than the more conventional positions for these changes. There's a wealth of stuff available along these lines.

I've no chord dictionary as such (apart from the one in my head!), but the 9th string is fundamental to my playing, especially for more pop-orientated and extended chords.

RR

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 10:21 am    

As a relative late comer to the 9th string D-C# change on a KL, I can't tell you how excited I've been finding a whole new world (for me)of great stuff!