The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who's the Steel Player?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 7:47 am    

... on this Hank Thompson TV spot. Looks like it might be from the 80's but I'm not sure. Don't know where it was filmed. The steel player comes in at 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9gZ9fyoZg&list=PLBGYkMAutyheVhSZumGFft1DyvQ_-4Dsp

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 8:06 am    

J.D. Walter – Steel guitar?

http://hankthompson.com/brazos-valley-boys/

I saw some mention of his name in the BVB's in this time frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 8:12 am    

That looks like Troy Klontz to me. Member of Roy Clark's band at the time, I think.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 8:20 am    

Definitely NOT J.D. Walters, who's been my friend over 40 years.

I've heard of Troy Klontz for a long time, but I've never had the pleasure of meeting him or seeing any photos.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 8:22 am    

Troy played in Roy's Hee Haw band and later on with Brooks and Dunn's band for many years. I'm pretty sure that's him in the video link you posted.

Brett Day is the expert though.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 9:14 am    

NOT in capital letters! Guess that's a no go LOL.

https://steel4alivin.com/gallery/

"At 17 he began touring with Roy Clark nationally and internationally from 1977 to 1987, performing on the TV show Hee Haw from 1981 to 1987. In 1989 he played with Roy Clark at the prestigious Montreux Jazz Festival in Montreux, Switzerland. In 1992 Troy began playing for the country music duo Brooks and Dunn, touring and performing nationally and appearing for 13 consecutive years on the annual Country Music Awards."

From the site above (picture is titled "tk_hee haw 1985 ish.jpg):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 1:07 pm    

My apologies for the upper case letters. J.D. Walters did, in fact, play with Hank Thompson as a Brazos Valley Boy, so yours was an educated guess. The real JD looks absolutely nothing like the player in the video, however.

Again, my apologies for the ill-advised emphasis.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 6:38 pm    

Troy is from the same town in Oklahoma that I'm from, Claremore. His father worked for American Airlines as my father did, and his mother worked in the computer department at Hesston Corporation in Claremore. I worked in Hesston's engineering department for a few years in the mid '70s, so I knew the whole family. Troy was a whiz on the steel long before he could tote his own guitar. I jammed with him one night when he was about 10 or 12 years old, and I mostly just listened. He could play everything Lloyd Green ever recorded, note for note.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 2 May 2018 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 7:11 pm    

If Herb doesn't mind the aside, does anyone know what Troy's been up to since leaving Brooks and Dunn?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 May 2018 6:07 am    

Quote:
If Herb doesn't mind the aside, does anyone know what Troy's been up to since leaving Brooks and Dunn?

He has a Facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/Steel-4-a-Livin-by-Troy-Klontz-1728752664046298/?rc=p
also this...
www.steel4alivin.com
... but I'm not sure how current any of this is.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 8:12 am    

OK, Thanks.

James Murray

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 12:50 pm    

I played with the opening act for Brooks and Dunn around 1999 in Memphis and remember offering Troy my two NV 400's because he was not using an amp on stage at that time. He said he wished he could so he could have more control over his stage sound. Super nice guy and great player.

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 5:31 pm    

That's Troy in the video.
J.D. lives just outside Tulsa in Glenpool. Monster player.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 6:12 pm    

I did a show here in Grand Rapids in early 2006 with Luke Galloway and the Driffters, we were the opening act and Troy was playing for the headliner tho that gent's name escapes me now. During sound check my TubeFex went dead and Troy was kind enough to let me run thru his rig for our part of the show. He really bailed my tail out of a jam. When we were thru with our set I caught up with him to thank him, and he said when we played Rainy Day Woman it gave him goosebumps, said it sounded like Moon was on the stage and that I'd really nailed it. That's the highest compliment I've ever been payed, and by a monster pro player no less.

I've never forgotten the kindness he showed me that night, hope I get to pass a favor like that on if I ever have the opportunity. What a great memory! Mr. Green

Skeeter

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 11:40 am    

Troy played Derby guitars with Brooks & Dunn in the late nineties until leaving their band.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 7:14 am    

I saw something about Troy Klontz doing cruises with country music. He may have worked with Pete Scobell. It was 2017, IIRC.

He's on some recent YouTube videos,
Here's one: https://youtu.be/Q7AnaMjiNBU

In this short vid he is playing a Derby steel: https://video.genfk.com/1811783392409891