The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone of steel guitars
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 4:58 pm    

I'm well aware that tone is subjective and we don't all hear it the same, but I think many of us do classify some instruments into tone types such as the Sho-Bud tone, the Emmons tone, etc.

I don't even want to think about a discussion of how much is tone in the guitar or the hands, we've already been there and done that.

If by now we can say that everything contributes to tone; guitar, amp, effects, tone, touch and technique (hands), then we can agree that many different guitars have different sounds too, right?

OK, taking all that into consideration and setting it aside (please), my question is:

Is there any other pedal steel guitar that sounds very similar to the sound of the old Sho-Bud permanent?

I doubt anything sounds exactly like it except the genuine article, but what other make & model sounds most like it? Anything? Currently being built or not, I don't care...

I'm asking because of the steels I've had, my old Sho-bud D-11 permanent had the sound that made my skin crawl, none of my others sounded as good to me, and I've not had the chance to demo all the new brands.

If anyone has had experience playing the old 'Buds and also many of the new brands and can tell me what if anything has the closest to that old 'Bud sound, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 5:51 pm    

Hey Jim; that is a great Question, mainly for me; I have tried that exact same thing as I'm such a huge Sho-bud tone fan. I'll have to say out of all steel guitars I've played in that search that came the closest to my ear was my Fulawka.
Here it is recorded> hear for yourself and tell me whatcha think>
Dale Watson's One More Once More
It will take a few seconds to load.
However> I am back to playing and owning one pedal steel and it's ....yeeeess you guessed it> a Sho-bud LDG big body round front.
The Permenant is a Fine Fine sounding Sho-bud as I also dig the Fingertip; but the Sho-bud sound runs into the early 70's also with a hint of those first year tones; but after that; they loose me.
Ricky

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 10:10 pm    

This is usually when Bobbe joins the panel discussion with his expertise.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 6:50 am    

Ricky.. That IS a REAL nice sounding steel!.. Very "classic" tone..Fulawka steels have turned my head around big time... I would probably make that my very next guitar,if I could afford one..bob

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 8:16 am    

Ricky knows what he is talking about. My mid-'70s Pro III with TrueTone pups sounds very much like any modern all-pull. That's okay with me for this one. I wanted a D10 with Sho-Bud looks and modern mechanics, and that's what I got. The older ones have obsolete mechanics, but that's part of what gives them the older tone. So if you want that vintage sound, get one of the older big-body ones, and use the originals or pups rewound to original specs.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 8:33 am    

The best Sho-Bud I ever heard, period, belonged to Daniel Jones, a killer-diller player who is now a music professor in Colorado. His D-10 Professional was just outstanding.

I had one too, and it sounded good, but not like his. And with an addition of gaffer's tape to keep the baskets from jingling, it was dead quiet, tuned perfectly and could be changed out to a new copendant in 10 minutes...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 2:18 pm    

Of all the steels out there, nothing comes as close to the old "Sho~Bud Sound" as a Fulawka, IMHO.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 4:23 pm    

Ricky, I don't think that it can get any better than that but let's face it; it's Ricky doing his thing that makes it. Lord knows I wish I had half the talent you do.