The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm back!
Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 12:08 pm    

Hi,

Been gone for a while, life got and still is complicated, Family Business has picked up, having to manage small time logging operation, old customers in my sound business are asking for me to work for them again, reviving our Speaker Company - have a new partner, and my little Marine Manufacturing business got a huge order this year. Oh yea, on the County Ferry System Board too.

I've decided to shut down the Marine Business, when I finish the project, in June, which takes most of the time, and get back to the Speakers and the Steel's, I'm too old, supposedly past retirement age, and want to spend time with what I want to do.

OK, my attempts at learning the Steel went out the window, a local guy says he can help me out, taking him up on it, here's the question:

As an again total beginner, should I start with a single 6 string, can easily make one with the parts I have,-- or should I just use my excellent working 1946 Boxcar Pickup Fender Dual Pro? A friend of mine says I ought to get started with a Dobro, missed one locally for a hundred bucks.

Your input please?

John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 12:54 pm    

I would go with the Fender you already have. Tune it to C6 and concentrate only on the front neck.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 12:55 pm    

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you already have a pretty nice steel to get back into playing. That old Fender should serve you well. As for Dobro vs. steel - I guess it mostly depends on what musical styles you want to get into. And if you're like so many of us here on the forum, you'll eventually end up with both anyhow. Smile

Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 1:02 pm    

My Dual is an 8 string. I wonder if 6 would do me better as a beginner? As for the Dobro, I wouldn't have to carry the amp around, but I don't have one. If another jumps up, and the price is right I'll get it.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 1:26 pm    

I moved from 6 to 8 strings pretty early on, and never found the extra 2 strings to be a complicating factor. In fact depending on your tuning, you can just ignore two strings for 95% of your playing. Or...if it does become confusing, just string it up with 6 strings only to start.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 10:43 am    

Stick to your Fender. I have six string guitars laying about but never looked back when I went for 8 string. C6 with high G is my favourite and you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with that.

Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 9:43 pm    

Thanks for your replies, perhaps it would be best to see what the Teacher is used to, I start in June. I was thinking of putting together a six string out of parts I have. Is the sting spacing the same a a regular guitar, like a Fender Telecaster?

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 12:22 pm    

It sort of depends on what music you want to play. If the focus is on Bluegrass, a Dobro is pretty much the way to go. Personally, I think the Fender is more versatile. In building, the string spacing will depend on your pick up, if you already have it.

Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 2:12 pm    

I've got several,including a couple from a Telecaster a friend gave me when he replaced them with Lollar's.

The Fender Dual was minus a pickup when I got it, someone had put a DeArmond Toaster type 6 string strap mount pickup on it. It sounded fine on the center 6 strings, not so good on the 2 outside ones. I was thinking of using that one.

To replace the original, I modified my coil winder, built an epoxy insulted cardboard pass through coil former and wound a new one. Since there was no top return plate, I made one out of a piece of channel steel. I got a couple of Neo magnets and tried it out, liked the sound better, so I made another one. My Jazz guitar playing friend who was trying to help me learning thought so too.

Now I wonder what the Dermond spacing is.