The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Jukebox Charlie"-Lloyd Green-Revised-Garden/Jonsson TAB
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 6:46 am    

***REVISED 5/13/18*** My friend Jan Jonsson, (the acknowledged master of Lloyd Green transcriptions!) was kind enough to go over every note of my original tab over the past few weeks. Jan showed me some very cool "Lloydisms" that I had missed and provided a number of edits. All corrections have now been made.

Here's my original post:
I can't really own a Lloyd Green Model Show Pro pedal steel and not do a tab from Mr. Nashville Sound himself. So here's a look at Lloyd's instrumental version of the Johnny Paycheck tune "Jukebox Charlie". It's off Lloyd's great "Revisited" CD...hope it's close. Thanks to my friends Jan Jonsson and Ricky Davis, I have it on good authority that Lloyd played the intro on strings 1 and 4 with all bar movements. Corrections and comments always welcome.

Unfortunately this version of "Jukebox Charlie" isn't available on youtube but I highly recommend getting the CD if you can find it - it's excellent!

Last edited by Jeff Garden on 13 May 2018 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 12:59 pm    

Jeff, you are amazing. Thank you for the tab, I’ve always loved that CD.
I hope all is well over there in NH.

Gary Meyer

Sacramento, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 1:02 pm    

Yes,Thank you Jeff ! This one and all your tabs are much appreciated !

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 1:15 pm    

Thank you very much guys.

Cartwright: great to hear from you....You can tell it's been a long winter in NH if I've got time to tab out epics like this Smile Hope you and your family are doing well and you haven't been getting pounded too badly by the nor'easters this month. We'll have to get together this Spring and A/B some steels. I've still got the push-pulls, just added the Show Pro.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 1:59 pm    

WEll making sure those high string movements are the 1st string and not 3rd is awesome work and the other great thing on this Jeff...is there is nowhere when the 4th string E is lowered...as lloyd never lowers the 4th string on a lever...so YOU'DA MAN!!! and that is the hardest part tabbing lloyd; but now when Jan looks it over..he may say:"Well lloyd got that same combo you tabbed, HERE....not THERE....ha...as that's what Lloyd called me one time and told me when I tabbed "Remember When"...ah...ha.
GREAT Work Bro.
Ricky

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 2:30 pm    

Thank you Ricky! I was real conscious about not lowering the 4th string...it almost made it a little easier trying to figure out what Lloyd was doing because it took a possible option off the table. Jan Jonsson, the grand master of Lloyd Green tab is checking things over for me so I may have a few corrections here at some point Smile

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 4:05 pm    

Jeff - this is great work! I just went through it and your tab looks amazingly accurate. If this is the result of a long winter I'm sorry to say I hope that spring holds off arriving in NH long enough for you to do another tune. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 1:48 pm    

Thank you very much, Rick.

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2018 9:33 am    

Holy smokes man this is legit! Jeff I kinda think you are somewhat superhuman dude. Wow.

Email: patrickwmchenry@gmail.com

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2018 9:52 am    

Thank you for the kind words, Patrick - I'm just a guy that had too much time on my hands during a long New England winter Smile If you're a Lloyd Green fan you might be interested in this "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" tab that I just finished. It's from the new 50 years later "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" reunion CD with Jay Dee Maness.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=330460

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 13 May 2018 12:04 pm    

***REVISED 5/13/18*** My friend Jan Jonsson, (the acknowledged master of Lloyd Green transcriptions!) was kind enough to go over every note of my original tab over the past few weeks. Jan showed me some very cool "Lloydisms" that I had missed and provided a number of edits. All corrections have now been made. Smile