The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommendations for new smartphone?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 10:23 am    

I'm getting pretty sick of how long it takes for my phone (Samsung S3)'s battery to charge and how quickly it runs down. And how lousy the camera is compared to iPhones and newer models. So those are my 3 main criteria for a new phone: fast charging, LONG lasting charge, and excellent camera.

I've always had Androids but am open to an iPhone, if it ends up winning the competition.

Do you love your smartphone? Would you recommend it? If not, what's better?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 4:11 am    

Jim,
Your S3 is so outdated....I have been a Iphone fan since they came out..I have a Samsung Note 8 and Iphone 10... Iphone is more user friendly, you can have more control of your phone with the note...hope this helps...I am all Mac at home too...so it only makes sense to have Iphone...

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 6:54 pm    

I switched to Iphone last year. I will maybe switch back to Android for my next phone.

Problems:

The new iphones don't have headphone jacks.

All roads lead to Apple. Apple maps GPS is pretty crappy and you need to set up work arounds if you want to use a good one.

Itunes. Itunes is now an out of control beast that is no longer functional as a way to listen to music. It would turn itself on every time I started my car and automatically start playing random music. I removed all music from it and it downloaded some music it wanted me to hear anyway. I had to remove iTunes from my phone.

Contacts: If you use Gmail as your contacts Apple will sometimes work and sometimes not. If I add a person to my contact list on my phone they might make it to my contact list and they might not.

Pretty much all of the better level (Apple, Android....) phones have amazing cameras and great battery life these days. The new iPhones camera is REALLY amazing though. I've been taking movies of gigs and they come out way better then they should.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 6:59 pm    

Thanks David and Bob.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 7:42 am    

I use Google maps on my iPhone, and have enough playlists on iTunes I can listen to just about a mix for any mood. I love mine. It interacts really well with the sound system in my Toyota, which is where I get to spend most of my listening time.

The iPhone built in map system really is pretty awful.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:17 am    

I have a 3 year old Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it. I charge it overnight. It still has at least 40% to 50% charge when I go to bed 14 to 16 hours later. The only time it runs below that is if I use a lot of apps, or it accidentally turns on the screen inside the phone case while I am working.

I believe that the newer Galaxy phones have even longer active battery uptime.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog