The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your oldest band picture................
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2008 1:37 pm    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Mike, do you have any shots to share from your North Long Beach days with Bobby Cahill's band? I'd like to see some of those..........JH in Va.

Unfortunately, no Jerry. That was the best band I ever played in. Bobby was absolutely the most talented singer I ever worked with. He should have become a star.

He was also the nicest and easiest to work with. If the scene hadn't dried up I'd probably still be working with him.

Bobby originally hired me to play guitar, and only for 6 weeks while his regular guitar player (Harry Barnett, who you probably know) had to leave town on some family emergency. But Harry and I had previously worked together in the late Jerry Eugene's band, (I was working with Harry and Jerry the night we met,) and we had all this twin guitar and steel stuff already worked out. I suggested to Bobby that when Harry got back, that I move over to steel, but Bobby wanted to keep the band down to 4 pieces and rejected the idea. When Harry returned, he made the same suggestion, and Bobby again said no, so Harry and I booked a gig for 5 pieces behind Bobby's back. He was PO'd when we told him. But once he heard Harry and me play together and realized he wasn't just getting a steel player, but a guitar and steel team with lots of experience playing together, he quickly changed his mind.

We played together for 2 or 3 years, till the clubs started closing.

Bobby and Harry both attended my concert back in September.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2008 12:52 pm    

Yo mike, the next time you see Harry B. tell him "Hey" for me! It's been a lot of years. By the way, one of the bass players I work with here is a retired Army sergeant who told me he used to work with Bobby C. in the LA area for awhile. His name is Don Yount and he's 73 years old at present so he'd be considerably younger then. Here's a shot of what he looks like now. The band is "The Long & Short of It" which features Don on bass, my wife Kay on vocals, Lonnie Godfrey (formerly of Loretta Lynn's Coalminers) on drums, and myself on lead & steel........JH in Va.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 4:12 am    

Here's one of the Swingin' Swamis on the loading dock of the bar now known as the Tractor in Seattle, cira 1989.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 8:38 am    

The oldest pic I could find...from 1950, the Rogers Twins in Amarillo, Texas. (Note the DeSota stretch band bus!) Laughing

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 2:33 pm     Texas Honky Tonks Must Have Been Pretty Rough

Gene
Must have been some rough Joints you picked in to have to strap on all that Firepower Whoa!

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 3:11 am    

The guns were in case someone managed to fight through the chicken-wire. Also, we didn't get many complaints about the music either. Laughing

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 8:24 am    

I think this Pix around 71-72..
Lto R: J.B.Smith Doc Peters ME Bob Suzor Frank Kaminski (before stage name) Wink

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 2:23 pm    

Our 1968 band called "Brick"....we were teenage rockers who played local dances for a couple years

I didnt realize until many years later the financial sacrifice that my father made to buy the new red Harmony Rocket guitar for me......I still have the guitar

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 2:31 pm    

The Rolling Rock Revue at the Dark Horse Tavern, Cortland NY 1975(?) My future was so bright, I had to wear shades Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 12:26 pm    

Late 1966 or early 1967, as close as I can recall. L-R me, Joe Straker, Mel (Ray) Lawrence, and Marty Kulacki:

(image copyright by Donny Hinson)

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 10:23 am    

This is all I’ve got. An old bandmate showed up at a gig of mine last year and handed me this polaroid. I was 14 or 15. I was definitely precocious, playing gigs with adults and even on TV at this age.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 2:40 pm    

Great thread, I miss Gene Jones, such a good guy, loved his stories of early Conway days and dust bowl Oklahoma were informative. Glad this was revived!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 8:41 am    

This is probably 1981. That's me on the 5 string fiddle.

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 6:13 pm     re

1970, I'm down front with the lap steel

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 8:16 pm    

Way to go Mike, what a great pic.

Gary Leggett

Space Coast, FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 12:28 pm    

1966, summer before I started high school. guitar player on the right. We were called the Con-tels... my brother called us the Milkmen. Smile The gig was a grand opening of a Gulf station, Louisiana.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 1:47 pm    

Here - must have been around 1935. My grandma has our name on her accordion. I'm in the lower right of the picture underneath my Dad's accordion. My Dad's 91 and still plays!

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 3:07 pm    

Late 70's playing with Paul Craft and The Settlers, and I had my Buddy Emmons Four Wheel Drive tee shirt on.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 2:44 pm    

December 1960,"The Nightwinds" at the drummer's mom's employer's Christmas party.L-R Ted McSherry,guitar,Charlie Gamble,drums,Doug Riley(yeah, THAT Doug Riley!)piano,and me.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 11:06 am    

All these old pictures are priceless. They take me right back to the days of my youth, My first band was the Mustangs. We played Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, etc. and played mostly for high school dances. We did appear in the NY Pavilion at the New York Worlds Fair. I remember one of the songs we played was Wooly Bully, which was #1 on WABC Radio at the time.

I'm 2nd from the right with the Japanese import guitar. This picture was circa 1964, maybe 1965...