The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp volume increase.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 7:50 pm    

Thank u George, you get it. I should have used the word LOUDER, maybe my post would have been more understood. I highly recommend the TC Spark pedal. It's very clean and produces 20 db of gain, power, volume or what ever it's called. All I know is it makes my amp LOUDER.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 8:38 pm    

Bill: You're learning like all of us do from time to time. After all, if you play pedal steel, there's no way you can be stupid. ;>))

And if you ever do feel stupid or whatever, just remember what a great man, an icon, a true symbol of Americana, once said:

"When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are."

- Burt Reynolds a.k.a. The Bandit, from Smokey and the Bandit, 1977

(Seriously, there is a lot of truth in those words.)

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 8:45 pm    

20db gain is a lot … 10 times to be exact. Few instrument-amps need that much extra boost at instrument and/or line level in order to drive the power-stage to max, so I suspect something isn't optimal in how your connected gear works or is dialed in – you are most likely compensating for attenuation/losses somewhere.

But, as long as the amplified signal with the booster in place still sounds undistorted, and loud enough, all is good. I have seen, and have used, more drastic solutions over the years Very Happy

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 11:08 am    

Late to the party on this since it seems a solution has been found. But I might have something of value to add...

I used to have a Carvin AG100. It has a ton of clean headroom for what it is, and nearly impossible to overdrive.

First, if you haven’t already, crank the master volume up all the way.

Looking at your graphic EQ, with the midrange nearly all the way off, that might be where a lot of your perceived volume is going. Use the parametric on Channel 1 to dial in your mids first. Channel 2 is more mid and bass-ish than 1. I think there is a mid-cut knob on it(?)

Also, check the tweeter setting on the back panel instead of cranking up the high end on the EQ. Keep in mind that higher volume level can distort the tweeter.

The line out on the back could be used to plug into a powered speaker cabinet, like a Tech 21 Power Engine.

I would do all those things before adding a pedal boost, because it seems like boosting power is a good way to wear out a speaker and the transistors. But again, whatever works.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 1:41 pm    

Actually I recently set in with a band. The first time I used it. They asked me to turn down, which made me happy LOL. A couple weeks ago I went to the jam in Swansea IL, The band was pretty loud with three lead guitars. Eddie Lange was running a Nashville 115 and Wally Davis had quite and good set up as did the others. I was holding my own but could have used more volume. I loved my tone( my EQ settings) I could have got more VOL but didn't want to run more bass. Therefore the need for a booster. Thanks everyone for you input, some of it really helped.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 6:45 am    

I was just thinking of something, and then read Bill's latest post, and it confirmed my thoughts.

With some bands, there is never going to be a thing as "too loud", or "loud enough".

It has been covered here many times before.

Fred Treece had some good suggestions actually based upon experience with that amp. Like myself and a couple of others have suggested, I'd start sniffing around at the way that you have things adjusted/hooked up.