INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Post new topic Update: Where is Art Beard? REST IN PEACE
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update: Where is Art Beard? REST IN PEACE
Ross Shafer


From:
Petaluma, California
Post Posted 9 May 2018 6:21 am     Reply with quote

Sad news for sure. I only met Art in January at the Phoenix show, we hit it off immediately and have been in touch frequently since.

I spoke with him last week and his spirits were high. I let him know how much I admired the grace with which he faced his last challenge. He had some very poignant memories and wisdom to share.

All in all a wonderful and reflective guy with a deep, deep passion for music in general and steel guitar especially.

I feel like I've lost a big brother....RIP Art! Thanks for all you shared with me in our short time as friends.


Last edited by Ross Shafer on 9 May 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mark Shuda


From:
Wisconsin, USA
Post Posted 9 May 2018 7:23 am     Art Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of Arts passing.
He was a real nice guy.
I had several discussions and nice talks with him.
His spirit will live through that cool Speedy West that he gave to Mickey to give away to a deserving new owner.
MS
_________________
Mark Twang
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fred Martin


From:
Phoenix, Az
Post Posted 9 May 2018 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Also had a chance to meet and talk to Art at the Phoenix show. Very kind and gracious fella.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mike Wheeler


From:
Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post Posted 9 May 2018 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

Rest in peace, brother, and play pretty up there. My heartfelt condolences to your earthly family and friends.
_________________
Best regards,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gary pierce


From:
Rossville TN
Post Posted 9 May 2018 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear this, and was hoping it was not the reason for his absence here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
John Wilson


From:
Ventura, California, USA
Post Posted 9 May 2018 8:06 pm     Sad, sad news Reply with quote

I just saw this obit and I am so saddened by Arts passing.

RIP my friend. Your craziness will be perfectly understood in Heaven.

John
_________________
Customer: "Waiter, how do you prepare your chicken?"
Waiter: "We usually tell them they're not going to make it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mickey Adams


From:
Bandera Texas
Post Posted 10 May 2018 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

He texted me right up to the end... He wants his gear to go to a brother.. He was ready, he had made his peace.. RIP Art..Yiur memory will live on..
_________________
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lonnie Portwood


From:
Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post Posted 11 May 2018 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

It saddens me to hear of Art's passing. I had spoken to Art sometime back when He expressed interest in My "Al Caiola" Epiphone, and I just last week received The Gretsch 6120 which He had listed here for several weeks. I am glad I finally bought it after watching it for a while. I wondered why it took several days for Art to ship it, and now I know why.He included a very nice wish for me to treat "her" like a lady and play Her often. Rest in peace, ole friend. Lonnie
_________________
Music is probably the most "spiritual of mankinds emotions, and when practised with a pure heart, can lead one into the presence of God, who invented it. Lonnie Portwood
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Damir Besic


From:
Nashville,TN.
Post Posted 11 May 2018 7:10 pm     Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking he was serious when he was taking about his own "early estate sale" , I figured it was just his kind of humor or something... this is a sad news, RIP Art, may you now ride free with the wind...HAPPY TRAILS
_________________
www.steelguitarsonline.com


Last edited by Damir Besic on 12 May 2018 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Chris Boyd


From:
Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post Posted 12 May 2018 4:07 am     Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear this sad news..I too thought he was joking about his estate sale.. rest easy Art...
_________________
https://www.reverbnation.com/bigredandtheresonators
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jim Sliff


From:
Lawndale California, USA
Post Posted 12 May 2018 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Very sad. He and I had disagreements about nearly everything yet got along great. Very kind...and funny, in a "funny ha-ha" way...guy. He was wonderfully supportive when I lost my youngest son at the end of December.

He'll really be missed.
_________________
No chops, but great tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Steve Spitz


From:
New Orleans, LA, USA
Post Posted 13 May 2018 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

He will be missed. RIP brother. Thank you for your service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jay Carroll


From:
Virginia, USA
Post Posted 15 May 2018 5:00 am     Art Reply with quote

Art wanted a Duesenberg multibender I had to put on a Tele project he was doing. He called me and talking with him,I found we had a lot of the same interests.He was excited to get the multibender.I am hoping he was able to get his "Barn beam Telecaster" finished.I thank him for his service. He will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Alan Brookes


From:
Brummy living in the San Francisco Bay Area
Post Posted 18 Jun 2018 8:43 am     Reply with quote

I was just thinking it was about time I wrote to him. Now I feel bad that I put it off too long.

I was in the process of selling him some instruments when he called my on the 'phone and said that he no longer wanted to buy them as the doctors had told him that he didn't have long to live.

He was a great Buddy Holly fan, so I copied everything Buddy had ever done onto a couple of DVDs and sent them to him.
He told me that he was at peace with himself and was not concerned about his own passing. He was going to leave all his instruments to a veterans home. He was continually haunted by the faces of those who had died with him and against him in VietNam.

Few people know that he did a lot of work for veterans, being one himself. He kitted out a veterans home with dozens of instruments from his collection, and taught them to play.

So long, Art. I wish I had had a chance to know you longer. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andy DePaule


From:
Saigon, Viet Nam & Eugene, Oregon
Post Posted 24 Jun 2018 10:02 pm     Just heard this last week Reply with quote

So sad, Just heard this last week from Bob.
Art and I had exchanged quite a few PM's and e-mails.
I tried to convince him to put up a fight, but he didn't want that. That is his right, but still sad.
He wanted to give me a Sho Bud, but I refused because I already have more steels than I need. Told him he should find someone who really needed it.
We were both over here in Viet Nam about the same time in the mid 60's.
Seems he was close to a lot of fellows here... Sad that he's gone. Hope to a better place. Sad
_________________
Custom inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
Promat #11 2007, D-10 Blond & Mahogany with Gold Tuners.
Clinesmith Triple 8 Console, Birdseye Maple.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel.
Clinesmith Aluminum 8 String Frypan Ordered.
Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering.
1950's? Blankenship D-8 PSG Restored.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8, Restoration Project.
Morrell 8 string lap steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob Poole


From:
Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post Posted 9 Jul 2018 7:38 pm     Gonna miss you Art Reply with quote

Enjoyed every conversation I had with Art.I sent him,a while back,a small pocket sized cross that my wife made from a beautiful piece of cedar & he reminded me in each text & conversation that he kept it with him all the time.God bless you,Art
_________________
A steel,an amp,a seat,a dog,a cat & a GREAT wife !What more do I need ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Godfrey Arthur


From:
Philippines
Post Posted 15 Aug 2018 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Godspeed Art!

How surreal. He was telegraphing his situation on more than one thread.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327503&sid=d1b12bd2a22749b7d925ff904d5d5869


Thank you for your service Sir!

_________________
From the Bronx via Manila
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Carlucci


From:
Candor, New York, USA
Post Posted 17 Aug 2018 10:16 am     Reply with quote

Sad to see this. Art bought a guitar off me right around the time of his passing. I guess I don't get it??.. Why would he want a strange old tele made out of barnwood if he knew he would soon be gone?.. I sold it to him for peanuts just to see it played here and there maybe. It wasn't a bad guitar.
Art saw a picture of it posted here, and started mailing me relentlessly. I promised I would hold it for him as long as he needed,, this was probably sometime in March. He sent the check,I sent the guitar which he adored, and thanked me profusely for. Probably right around the time he died this all happened.

The only "clue' I had I suppose was that he was talking about really buying the guitar for some disabled vets or something, not for himself.

He seemed a bit eccentric but also pretty cool, and probably generous as well.

Sorry to read about his moving on.. He seemed like a character, but a lovable one.
We had a short online friendship, but it was fairly robust for a few weeks. Rest in peace Art. So glad you liked that guitar, and I hope its now in the hands of someone that feels the same way... bob
_________________
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Godfrey Arthur


From:
Philippines
Post Posted 17 Aug 2018 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Bob Carlucci wrote:
Sad to see this. Art bought a guitar off me right around the time of his passing. I guess I don't get it??.. Why would he want a strange old tele made out of barnwood if he knew he would soon be gone?.. I sold it to him for peanuts just to see it played here and there maybe. It wasn't a bad guitar.
Art saw a picture of it posted here, and started mailing me relentlessly. I promised I would hold it for him as long as he needed,, this was probably sometime in March. He sent the check,I sent the guitar which he adored, and thanked me profusely for. Probably right around the time he died this all happened.

The only "clue' I had I suppose was that he was talking about really buying the guitar for some disabled vets or something, not for himself.

He seemed a bit eccentric but also pretty cool, and probably generous as well.

Sorry to read about his moving on.. He seemed like a character, but a lovable one.
We had a short online friendship, but it was fairly robust for a few weeks. Rest in peace Art. So glad you liked that guitar, and I hope its now in the hands of someone that feels the same way... bob


Allan's post a few posts up, Art was supplying a veteran's home with instruments and teaching them to play. Maybe that's what he was doing up until the end.
If you read about his "estate sale..mine" thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327772&sid=92b42bf8f48fa1918fd17511a05e697d

If you read his obit, he didn't want a service.
_________________
From the Bronx via Manila
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
View user's profile Send private message
Alan Brookes


From:
Brummy living in the San Francisco Bay Area
Post Posted 17 Aug 2018 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
...Alan's post a few posts up, Art was supplying a veteran's home with instruments and teaching them to play. Maybe that's what he was doing up until the end.
If you read about his "estate sale..mine" thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327772&sid=92b42bf8f48fa1918fd17511a05e697d
...

Yes, he bought a bass guitar and a lap steel from me just before he died. He was going to buy an archtop jazz guitar and Telecaster from me but it never went through. He was waiting for a settlement from his ex-wife, but, at the time of his death, his attorney was still negotiating it.
Strangely he had a pedal steel advertised for sale for several months but no-one bought it. I wonder what happened to it. Probably went to the veterans' home.
Although he announced months before, that he was dying, from his telephone conversations he seemed okay, and I tried to persuade him to be optimistic and fight it, but he was reconciled with going. It was a shock when he eventually did die.
I'm reminded of Spike Milligan's epitaph on his gravestone, "See I told you I was sick." Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Godfrey Arthur


From:
Philippines
Post Posted 17 Aug 2018 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Alan Brookes wrote:
Godfrey Arthur wrote:
...Alan's post a few posts up, Art was supplying a veteran's home with instruments and teaching them to play. Maybe that's what he was doing up until the end.
If you read about his "estate sale..mine" thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327772&sid=92b42bf8f48fa1918fd17511a05e697d
...

Yes, he bought a bass guitar and a lap steel from me just before he died. He was going to buy an archtop jazz guitar and Telecaster from me but it never went through. He was waiting for a settlement from his ex-wife, but, at the time of his death, his attorney was still negotiating it.
Strangely he had a pedal steel advertised for sale for several months but no-one bought it. I wonder what happened to it. Probably went to the veterans' home.
Although he announced months before, that he was dying, from his telephone conversations he seemed okay, and I tried to persuade him to be optimistic and fight it, but he was reconciled with going. It was a shock when he eventually did die.
I'm reminded of Spike Milligan's epitaph on his gravestone, "See I told you I was sick." Crying or Very sad


Didn't Art have a niece he was going to leave things?

Jim sorry to hear you lost your son and during a holiday month of December. Never easy.
_________________
From the Bronx via Manila
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
View user's profile Send private message
Alan Brookes


From:
Brummy living in the San Francisco Bay Area
Post Posted 19 Aug 2018 9:44 am     Reply with quote

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=325724&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I wonder what happened to the Mullen that he was trying to sell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Jump to:  

Our Online Catalog
Strings, CDs, instruction,
steel guitars & accessories

www.SteelGuitarShopper.com

Steel Guitar Music
Instrumental steel guitar CDs for your permanent collection
www.SteelGuitarMusic.com

BIAB Styles
Ray Price Shuffles
for Band-in-a-Box

by Jim Baron

Please review our Forum Rules and Policies

The Steel Guitar Forum
148 South Cloverdale Blvd.
Cloverdale, CA 95425 USA

Support This Forum

advertisement