The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie introduction
Paul Pederson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 7:45 pm    

Hey, all! I have the bug, and the only cure is...Pedal Steel Guitar!

Following lots of research and advice on this forum, and having the good fortune of a job which affords me a robust budget, I have decided on a new, non-student instrument as my first axe rather than chance a student model or used instrument that requires significant maintenance to bring it up to snuff.

I am fortunate to live within 45 minutes of Bill Rudolph, and have an appointment with destiny to sign adoption papers on a lovely tiger-striped black-burst 700 Series S10 Willy next Monday morning in Bill's music room. I plan to post photos from the adoption ceremony, and my credit card is already aching.

I am a brand-new player with a background in 6-string, bass, piano, organ, accordion, even spent a goofy 3 semesters at Berklee in the late 80's, and there's just something about the ebb and flow of music currents in my life right now that cries for PSG. I know it will be a minimum of 1-2 years before I have any real level of proficiency, but I look forward to the challenge and am really excited about this new adventure!

As a starter, I won't trouble folks with requests for on-line lessons and the like; I plan to connect with a local instructor to at least kick things off, so I think I'm covered there.

What I would appreciate, however, is advice on selecting key components--specifically a good source on picks, advice on tone bar diameters, and volume pedals. Yeah, yeah, I know everyone has their opinion, but I hope to farm responses for some kind of consensus on these elements.

My plan is to go sans-amp, as I perform with In-Ear Monitors, so any input on amp simulators would be HUGE. Either brand / model suggestions, or suggested settings on compression, reverb, and delay to use as starting points would be welcome.

Huge props to b0b for being such a dude, creating and running this forum!

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a persistent topic here for Newbies, or new members to just introduce themselves, Then again, PSG isn't something that strikes me as having a lot of new players year-to-year.

Well, enough babbling. I'm Paul, play keys currently for Ledfoot Larry, and am so glad to be here!

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 4:14 am    

First off, Paul, welcome to the madness... You will have lots of fun learning. The fact that you have a solid music background will help a lot, and a teacher is the best way to get started. Any standard 7/8" bar will work, I like BJS. Dunlop picks, a plastic thumb pick and two metal finger picks are available at any good music store. Bill Rudolph can advise you. Get a Hilton volume pedal and you are set, works great and no pots to change or wear out. I use an amp so I have no advice on head phone modules.
You are getting a first rate steel and with a teacher you will make good progress. Enjoy, and if you have questions your teacher can't answer, use this great Forum.

Drew Shoemaker

Tupelo Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 4:49 am     me too

good luck,, Im a newbie also,,, been playing guitar, bass,, slide guitar and resonator for years,, but made the mistake of buying a lap steel some time ago,, which was a gateway drug to pedal for me,,, im working on the basic grips right now,, i bought a new mullen discovery

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 4:56 am    

Well, I'm a seasoned veteran -- into my fifth month already... Very Happy

Someone already recommended a Hilton volume pedal. I tried to cheap out at first with a less expensive pedal by a well-known company. It just didn't work well enough for pedal steel. I got a Hilton, used, and it does. I should have spent the extra money in the first place.

I'm running mine through a Boss GT-1 for preamp simulation and effects, into a small mixer for convenience and out headphones or a Mackie SRM-350 powered speaker. After a fair amount of EQ tweaking to make it all act more like a regular open-backed amp, I'm pretty happy with the sound.

--Al Evans

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 5:54 am    

Al Evans wrote:
I'm running mine through a Boss GT-1 for preamp simulation and effects, into a small mixer for convenience and out headphones or a Mackie SRM-350 powered speaker. After a fair amount of EQ tweaking to make it all act more like a regular open-backed amp, I'm pretty happy with the sound.

--Al Evans

Interesting, Al. I am not the only one. My setup is similar using KRK Rockit-5 powered speakers through a Behringer mixer (Xenyx X1222USB). As you state, from there I can use either the speakers, or headphones for privacy playing. Also gives the flexibility of running 'stereo' with the proper effects (e.g., chorus unit, delay). I tried playing through a couple amps I had and just hated the sound I was getting (almost to the point of giving up the instrument). This setup renewed my enthusiasm because it sounded so much better. Someday I will try an amp again after I get better and more comfortable with the instrument (maybe get one of those Peavey's everyone seems to have). Please note that my playing is strictly in my music area at this time. I am not playing out live so results may vary depending on your situation.

Another nice benefit of this mixer/speaker setup is you can hookup a playback device to the mixer also. I use a mixer channel for the stereo output from my iPad and then can play video tutorials and audio tracks through the same system. My mixer also has a USB out for attaching to the computer for recording. I haven't tried this yet but can see this as being beneficial at some point.

Paul Pederson

Post  Posted 2 May 2018 11:41 am    

Great information, thanks all!

Which hilton did you end up with, standard or pro with adjustable drag?
- TC Electronic M350 -

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 1:57 pm    

Visit the Beginner’s Page:
http://webpages.charter.net/dhdube/

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 7:30 pm    

Paul, welcome... it's "a nice little hobby."

IIRC the Hilton Pro Pedal is designed for standing guitar players. The Hilton Standard or Low Profile Pedals are a better fit for pedal steel guitar. Adjustments for friction are more than adequate, my 2 cents.

I had Keith build my standard profile pedal with a tuner-out jack (always on). Pedal-bar bracket is nice to have. Hilton and Telonics pedals are popular with steelers, but lots of players prefer a potentiometer-based (pot) volume pedal (Goodrich for example). I keep a pot-pedal in my car (backup if I forget the power supply).

Glenn Taylor's pot pedal is definitely worth considering.
Small Moyo Pedal with Tuner-Out

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 5:31 am    

Welcome Paul,

You are now part of and "addiction" like the rest of us.

First, be sure and check out my YouTube channel for videos of the giants of steel guitar. youtube.com/steelpicker

Next, If I can help you save some money on your accessories, please let me know.

I can help you with Telonics, Goodrich, George L's, BJS, Peterson and Peavey.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

and Welcome aboard.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Paul Pederson

Post  Posted 7 May 2018 10:04 pm    

Picked up my new Willy, a creature I call "Black Beauty."

Here's a clip of the un-boxing and setup, and my first bit of noodling after an hour of farting around!

http://hackshaft.com/PSG%20Un-Boxing.mp4

Next step: Some local introductory lessons from an instructor.
- TC Electronic M350 -

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 8:00 am    

Welcome to the club Paul, I'm one year into my journey on a Justice Pro-Lite and like you have 50 plus years of experience banjo, dobro, guitar etc. My goto picks are Fred Kelly Slik Pics (thumb) and national finger picks, a Nu-Generation Tone Bar 7/8", Stage One volume pedal. I've got a Boss Katana 100 amp, great amp but I've been playing out at local jams for the past two months and I got a Digitech RP 360 multi-effects processor which I plug straight into the PA system, works like a charm, 4 pounds and around $150.00, headphone out, music player in etc. check it out.
Good Luck.

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 4:59 am    

Welcome Paul from a former Minnesotan. Lots of great info here.

I once had a new player ask me "How long were you married before you started playing steel?"

Enjoy the journey, it never ends. PM me anytime.