The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dennis (De-No) Kirkland RIP
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2018 3:40 pm    

I just learned that Dennis (De-no) Kirkland has passed on. He endured the loss of his wife Neva and eldest son, Joaquin, and most recently the loss of his only other son Noel. I can only imagine that his death was hastened by his broken heart.

Dennis LOVED the steel guitar. He played at every opportunity, even while in failing health. He owned and operated De-no's music Center in Casa Grande, AZ since the late 60's. The store specialized in the sales & service pedal steel guitars. His favorite steel guitarist was Buddy Emmons. Dennis was my steel guitar mentor and long time friend.

Many many years ago, my new fiancè went to De-no's looking for some sheet music for the singer/pianist to perform at our wedding. Dennis quietly selected Kris Kristofferson's "Why me, Lord?" and handed it to me with a coy smile on his face. Rest well ol' friend, you were loved and will be sadly missed.

Related post by Billy Easton https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=328316&highlight=

Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2018 12:10 pm    

Sorry to learn of Dennis' passing.

I bought my black Mullen U12 from him in 1992.

I saw him several times over the years. He liked for me to play an archtop guitar of his when I was by the shop back in the 90's.

I also remember he was involved in bringing a few Jeff Newman Seminars to Casa Grande, AZ that I attended.

Best Regards,
Sam

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 8:19 am     RIP Dennis

I also Just Learned of De-no's Passing . What More could I say than what Rick has said already . i'll share a story instead . I met Mr Kirkland and Noel in the early 90's thru a friend (dennis Meckel)and we hit it off fairly well . He offered me a job in the store as a floor person as well as a hack steel guitar repair person. jumping ahead a year or so I didn't have a guitar to play gigs with as I was pretty squirly back in them days and didn't have much but my clothes, & an attitude! well I landed the gig at Mr Lucky's in phoenix thanks to Noel Deno's son. well I didn't have a guitar .. Deno sort of took me in with a job , sold me an old Van on a payment plan and so on ..well one afternoon Dave Musgrave came in the store with a Beautiful Red EMCI and wanted to sell it to Deno . Well Deno Wheeled & dealed like always and bought the guitar . so I set it up cleaned it all up changed strings and set it on the floor .. I was playing it a little soon after and Deno walks over and says "how do you like it" ? I said its great cause it was .. do you know that man said to me next ? he said "GOOD CAUSE ITS YOURS " I liked to have fell of the stool .. anyway enough of my droning .. he was a great man and I will never ever forget him or be able to pay the debt for him saving me from a life of trouble .. I love you Deno- RIP ole friend
Boo Miller
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10