The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spade Cooley interrogation recording, April 4, 1961
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 5:23 am    

https://soundcloud.com/bakersfieldcali/spade-cooley-interrogation

Above link is to a 61 minute recording of the interrogation of Spade Cooley by a detective from the Kern County Sheriff's office on April 4, 1961.

A few hours after his arrest.

Link below to the California Court Of Appeals verdict regarding his appeal for his conviction:

https://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/2d/211/173.html

Last edited by Mitch Drumm on 4 May 2018 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 5:35 am    

Only had time to listen to a fews seconds but already: wow. I'm be listening to this later

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 8:01 am    

Shocked Whoa! Shocked

This is the first time I have heard about this.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 9:01 am    

For those interested in the full story of this murderer, this is an excellent podcast on the crime https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/spade-cooley-murder-ballad

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 11:27 pm    

Wow, that is interesting! Thanks for posting!

Kind Regards, Walter

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 5:18 pm    

stomach-churning stuff especially if you know the gory details. I couldn't get through it all. sickening to hear him try to paint his wife's injuries and even her death as self-inflicted.

such a horrible murder, committed in front of their teenage daughter. the man was a monster

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 4:49 pm    

Good Lord....

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 11:26 pm     We Mostly Suppress Our Monstrosity

Did everyone in 1961 speak like a television personality? The interviewing detective sounds like Rod Serling Lite; I like the way he talks.
---

Anyone want to wrestle with separating the man from the music?

What are our ethical obligations when it comes to art appreciation?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 1:08 am     Re: We Mostly Suppress Our Monstrosity

Jeff Evans wrote:

What are our ethical obligations when it comes to art appreciation?

I'll bite.

As to your second question: none.

As to your first question---no wrestling required at all.

I rarely if ever think about his crime when I listen to his music. It's completely incidental and unrelated.

He was a fine fiddle player and bandleader, but the attraction of his music lies primarily with his band members and their arrangements. Nobody else sounded remotely like the Cooley and Tex Williams bands of the mid to late 1940s.

Heard an mp3 maybe 10 years ago of one Charles Manson singing "Night Life". Pretty good, but I didn't retain it on my hard drive. Not because Manson was a creep, but because it was only "pretty good". If I had thought it was excellent, I would have kept it and enjoyed it periodically without any hesitation.

If you pull up a random Spade Cooley video performance on Youtube, you will notice that a large number of the viewer comments concentrate on the crime, rather than musicianship.

That type of ostentatious and conspicuous preening and posturing generally makes me puke, but it seems to have become quite the fashion over the last couple of decades.

I've tried and failed to come up with flattering reasons for that. I say flattering. One more sign of the times, not that you needed one.

Last edited by Mitch Drumm on 19 May 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:21 am     Manson on a Hill

Very coincidental you'd mention Manson: I wanted to posit a hypothetical album—"Manson on a Hill"—by him (with compelling steel) but didn't want to derail any discussion with too much jolliness.

"Shame on You" is such a standard, and I didn't know its origin, so part of the answer for me may be, "You're soaking in it".

Seven-Minute Spade Bio by Steve Gerkin

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 5:21 am    

"Anyone want to wrestle with separating the man from the music?
"

I don't bother trying. I'll never listen to Bob Brozman again. I don't watch Woody Allen anymore. I'll never watch Louis CK again.

Others are welcome to do as they please, but I don't support murderers, rapists, pedaphiles, and sexual predators. Too many members of my family have bee affected by people like this for me to try and pretend their private lives don't matter. may they all rot in hell.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 2:13 am    

Had no idea about Brozman. Jesus Christ.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 2:53 am     Re: We Mostly Suppress Our Monstrosity

Jeff Evans wrote:

I'll have a go. Although they didn't kill anyone, Bob Wills and in a later age Buddy Rich spring to my random mind as people who are supposed to have been fairly unpleasant but were good at putting on a show for the customer, who is always right. I believe in separating the professional and the personal, although not everyone can do that and it's harder now with social media, which conflate everything - public, private, true or made up. Maybe the guitar was the one thing that kept Brozman's mind off darker thoughts.

(In the classical world, Leoš Janáček and Edward Elgar are examples* of people who were chronically horrible to their wives but wrote music I could not live without.)

(*I'm sure there are many more - I'll ask my wife)

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 7:52 am    

Man, I was 11 years old when this took place. I guess I must have been out of touch with National News. Till now even, I never even heard the name Spade Cooley. I listened to some of the interrogation. WOW! He was madder than mad at his wife. Pretty sick what he put his daughter through as well. Does anyone know if her or her brother are still alive? They must have been scared for life after something as horrible as that.