The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeffran Courses?
Jerry Earle

Staten Island, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 5:15 pm    

I have been using Joe Wright's Technique Bundle for a couple of months now. I also play some of the songs from Easy Country Pedal Steel religously. But I crave more learning of this great instrument. I have a Carter D10 in E9th tuning. What I like to know is which Jeffran course would be the best to purchase (ie. Up From The Top)?

Leon Eneboe

Sisseton, South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 5:23 pm    

No doubt about it...there are a lot of real good JEFRAN courses. I would say, probably, the GIVE ME AN INTRO course (it is a lot of fun) and also the JUST PLAY THE MELODY or the BACK UP courses. These will give you a lot of great instruction along with a lot of enjoyment as you hear those good sounds coming out of your guitar. I think a lot of FORUMITES have "cut their teeth" on JEFRAN courses.

Jerry Earle

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 5:42 pm    

"JUST PLAY THE MELODY" WAS THE ONE I WAS HIGHLY CONSIDERING. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE "UP FROM THE TOP" LESSONS?

Delbert Aldredge

Willis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 6:01 pm    

Welcome aboard Jerry! Starting out with a D 10 signafies you're a person who knows what he wants and plans ahead. This is great...I'm going to recommend that you get "DeWitt Scott's" steel guitar course. This course has all of it from the basics to the advanced. You will learn to use all pedals, knee levers, read music, scales, chimes, hand & bar tech.,speed picking. It has the whole ball of wax! It also comes with a casett tape. You can purchase this from the forum for $35.00, item #MB-04. It's a bargan investment. DeWitt Scott is a master instructionest and musician. I started out with Jeff's course and wound-up with DeWitt Scott...this course is unsurpassed by no one.
Try it...you'll like it!

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 2:33 pm    

Forget the DeWitt Scott books. Go for Up From The Top. All of them.

I don't care for Fran and she doesn't like me either. But those courses are probably the BEST for a new pedal steel player.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 5:46 pm    

Jerry, I bought a VHS from somone on the site. It is "Just play the Melody" and it was just the tape with no book. When I got it, I couldnt believe how informative and easy to follow it was. It was so good that I ordered the whole shooting match from Jeffran music. If you would like the VHS I bought, you can have it for postage costs, if you want to just check it out, but I would suggest you just go ahead and buy it, I dont think you will be disappointed.....James

Jerry Earle

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 7:11 am    

James thanks for the offer, but I plan on buying from Jeffran. My question to you is did you purchase the "Up from the Top" course or "Just Play the Melody"?

Terry Hickey

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 7:36 am    

Jerry,
I've bought alot of Jeff's courses including "UP from the Top". The "Just Play Melody" is diffinetly one you should take a look at. It's one that got me moving foward quite a bit.

Thanks Terry

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 10:56 am    

I bought "Just play the melody". It teaches you some really nice scale patterns, harmonic scales actually. Then, once you learn the scales, which are broken down into very manageable units, it goes on to teach how to apply the scales to songs. I am not sure that "Up from the top" or whatever its called would have been appropriate for me. That lesson seemed to be more geared towards someone who already was pretty familiar with the scales and I was not. I will most likely move on to "Up from the top" once I compete this course. Fran Suggested I begin with "Just Play the Melody" since I really didnt have a good working knowledge of the harmonic scales when I called her to order it....James

Jerry Earle

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 3:13 pm    

What's a good time to call Fran? I live in Staten Island, New York. Is she on the West Coast or East Coast?

Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 4:46 pm    

Hello Jerry,

I have "Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques" and "Up From the Top" from Jeffran. They're both great. PSGT gives you an overview of technique: L & R hands, volume pedal, as well as common scales on the E9. UFTT does assume you already know some of the scales & chords on E9. It shows you how to put them into context with fills, etc in a song. They're both great; but, I would start with "Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques" and get "Up From the Top" later.

I also have "C6 Workshop" from Jeffran. It's a great overview of the C6 neck. Jeff will have you playing over songs in several positions, using pedals 5 & 6 in no time. I would consider buying that video if you have a D-10.

They're all great videos!

SK

[This message was edited by Steve Knight on 06 September 2005 at 05:47 PM.]

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 5:30 pm    

Jerry, I just called Fran this afternoon and and left a voice message and within 20 minutes she had returned my call. This was approx 5:00 P.M. Central Time and I believe Nashville is within the Central Time Zone. She was super nice and very helpful with my order--Carl

Jerry Earle

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 1:29 pm    

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I ordered "Just Play The Melody" and 3 woodshed workshops today. I am anxious to get them.

Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 3:39 pm    

You won't be disappointed with anything Jeff ever put out; what a legacy...the man could not have done more for the steel guitar and for those of us who need help. And Fran is a wonderful person. The business was in TN but now may be moved to Charlotte NC in the eastern time zone..I can go over courses I did 10-15 years ago, and learn great stuff all over again that I quit using...